Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,597

1 members and 1,596 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: Locality?

Registered User coldbloodqueen26's Avatar
    Thanks

Locality?

Just took in two rescue girls and was just wondering if someone could ID them.

The first one, Misha, is from my local humane society. (This is her in the quarantine tank)

The second picture is Mía. She is a twenty year old female from a pretty bad abuse situation.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts
    Both are common BCI.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

coldbloodqueen26 (12-04-2014)

Thanks

Re: Locality?

Agree with above, both are common BCI, imperators. And that first girl is a looker - very nice pinks and reds.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

coldbloodqueen26 (12-04-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They both look to be in pretty good condition, what do you mean by 'pretty bad abuse situation'?
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks

The first girl was in perfect condition.

The second girl came for another location. She was kept in a very small enclosure for twenty years and temps were not being regulated. She also had a patch of exsposed bone on the top of her head. It is healing great though!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coldbloodqueen26 View Post
    The first girl was in perfect condition.

The second girl came for another location. She was kept in a very small enclosure for twenty years and temps were not being regulated. She also had a patch of exposed bone on the top of her head. It is healing great though!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    I also agree with BCI.

There are certain visual traits that assist with identifying a BCI or BCC, but nothing is set in stone.

Saddle counts, saddle shape, head shape, head pattern, body shape, and tail color are good first glance indicators. Scale counting is more involved and more telling and that's not happening here.

As far as "locality" the term common is very misleading. When most people use it, they are referring to a mainland, Colombian BCI. But without actual data there is no way to tell exactly what you have, or exactly where it came from or if it has been crossed/mixed at some point.

There could be a number of areas mixed into a snake's background, meaning things are cross bred, and then paired with something else and then paired with something similar and so on down the line. Morphs bred to non morphs, something with a hint of BCC in it bred to BCI, then crossed back.

You see what I'm getting at here?

I guess the term "common" these days means NOT a locality, but one could also argue it is about a "common look" which is not telling you much about the animal's background.

I have a Barranquilla, Colombian BCI that is, Colombian, but it's not really common. It's not rare by any means, it's just backed up by locality collection data from Mr. Rentfro who sold some of his stock to Legacy Reptiles where I actually purchased the animal from.

Things can get rather confusing and if you are interested, I highly recommend reading The Complete Boa Constrictor by Vincent Russo.

He covers pretty much anything and everything important about boa constrictors.

Also, anything written, or posted by Gus Rentfro is worth reading as I personally think he is one of the leading authorities on Boa Constrictors in the world.

Nice rescues,

Have fun and enjoy.
    Last edited by Gio; 12-04-2014 at 06:41 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (12-05-2014),wonderfvl (12-04-2014)