Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,392

3 members and 3,389 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nippy Baby?

Thanks

Nippy Baby?

I have noticed that my newest addition, a 2 month old female is much nippier than my little male was when I first got him. The male was 1 month old when I brought him home and although he was a bit jumpy for a while, he never struck. Now he's super laid back and doesn't really care what you do with him.

This little girl on the other hand, takes forever to finally un-ball herself when I hold her. Once she finally does start to explore, she's pretty feisty and always on the defense. She strikes even if you don't move. She'll be slithering along all adorable, will bump herself into your hand or arm and then bites like your the one who touched her. She's definitely a pistol.

I have read on a few other threads that hatchlings are typically spunkier than older snakes. Is this also true for BPs? Do they tend to grow out of it and will handling her more help or just make it worse?

Thanks

Re: Nippy Baby?

Quote Originally Posted by onthefritz View Post
    I have noticed that my newest addition, a 2 month old female is much nippier than my little male was when I first got him. The male was 1 month old when I brought him home and although he was a bit jumpy for a while, he never struck. Now he's super laid back and doesn't really care what you do with him.

This little girl on the other hand, takes forever to finally un-ball herself when I hold her. Once she finally does start to explore, she's pretty feisty and always on the defense. She strikes even if you don't move. She'll be slithering along all adorable, will bump herself into your hand or arm and then bites like your the one who touched her. She's definitely a pistol.

I have read on a few other threads that hatchlings are typically spunkier than older snakes. Is this also true for BPs? Do they tend to grow out of it and will handling her more help or just make it worse?
    Yes. BP's do go through something that my girlfriend lovingly refers to as, "Teenage Years." While your snake seems too young to be going through this, it may simply be that this is your snake's personality. It sounds like she's snipping at you for defense though, and snakes do go through a learning period where they learn what they're able to defend themselves against, and what they're unable to defend themselves against. Basically, she'll grow out of it.
    1.0 Vanilla (Akeda)
    1.0 Bumblebee (Silas)
    0.1 Albino (Cleo)
    0.1 Lesser Yellowbelly (Cambria)
    0.1 Lesser (Athena)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Reed12321 For This Useful Post:

onthefritz (12-01-2014)

Thanks
    Its definitely not something that I want to encourage by any means but it's kinda funny to watch her now. She thinks she's Billy Badass. I probably won't find it near as amusing once shes grown into a big gal. Plus, the less my fiance has to complain about them, the better off we'll be ha.

Here's to hoping she'll grow out of it
    Last edited by onthefritz; 12-01-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by onthefritz View Post
    Its definitely not something that I want to encourage by any means but it's kinda funny to watch her now. She thinks she's Billy Badass. I probably won't find it near as amusing once shes grown into a big gal. Plus, the less my fiance has to complain about them, the better off we'll be ha.

Here's to hoping she'll grow out of it
    Meh even a "big" bp bite won't do real damage. But yeah more then likely it will be outgrown, baby's can tend to be nippy. I usually just let the little boogers bite me, most of the time they see it gets no reaction they eventually stop.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob For This Useful Post:

Lady mkrj58 (12-04-2014),onthefritz (12-02-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Meh even a "big" bp bite won't do real damage. But yeah more then likely it will be outgrown, baby's can tend to be nippy. I usually just let the little boogers bite me, most of the time they see it gets no reaction they eventually stop.
    This. Just keep handling her and she'll learn there's no reason to be defensive and will eventually stop.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fireproof For This Useful Post:

onthefritz (12-02-2014)

Thanks
    How long have you had her.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerhawk View Post
    How long have you had her.
    Almost 3 weeks

Thanks
    I have mostly babies right now.

I have found many of them to be pretty moody. A lot of nippers. Some days are significantly better than others for many of them. I have two that are always really unfriendly.

Between being shipped and being so small and defenseless, I think they're just naturally more nervous, and frighten easily.

Most of my nasty babies have grown out of it, between chilling with age and getting used to being handled. I try to handle them a bit more frequently, if they get too upset I will put them back and try again another day. It's not abnormal, and your baby will probably learn to chill.

Also, they do definitely have distinct personalities, in terms of how they tolerate handling, being laid back or nervous, aggressive, moodiness, etc. Sometimes you just get one that is temperamental.

But more than likely she will grow out of it, especially if you work with her.
    Last edited by Running Elk; 12-02-2014 at 01:41 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Running Elk For This Useful Post:

onthefritz (12-02-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

I have a little normal female and she is a little pisser! Yesterday I had her out and she hissed at me and proceeded to strike also. I just held her very calmly and she then she calmed down and explored. It is very important to not put them back in the enclosure when they act like this. She strikes at me while she is still in her tub too. I have to admit though, I love the feisty side of her because she is an awesome feeder for me.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonluvr For This Useful Post:

onthefritz (12-02-2014)

Thanks
    For nippy babies, I'll also do a little snake hook training with them. They often strike when startled or when something warm (like a hand) enters the cage. So I'll use a little snake hook and touch on them a little to wake them up and then begin to lift them a little bit. Then I'm usually good to reach in and pick them up.

I don't mind the bites because they don't hurt, but I don't want them in the habit of striking every time I reach in, so I try to avoid it as much as possible and they tend to settle down quickly.

Much more quickly than a couple young boas I had in the past.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast