Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,080

2 members and 3,078 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Cleaning agent questions

Hey everyone,

I'm almost done setting up my enclosure and getting ready to take the leap into the bp world...still researching stuff.. just wondering what your opinions on cleaning agents were.

When it comes to breaking down the enclosure every 2-3 weeks or month dependant..for wipe downs and full cleanings im leaning more towards a type of cleaning agent I can spray than having to dilute bleach then rinsing a bunch of times and letting it dry. Im looking for something less time consuming, with less worry if I 'miss' some without realising.

Ive reasearched and found a few products some people use like the mouthwash type stuff called chlorohexadine that you dilute and cant just spray in the tank and wipe away which has a disinfectant effect...costs around $18/16oz bottle. I think there are also some veterenairy solutions you can buy that you dont need to rinse out that are safe to use with reptiles that will disinfect as well but no clue where to buy those.

Just looking for cost effective, time effective solution for when that time comes when ill have to do the enclosure breakdowns thats the safest for my snake. I have a limited time so trying to think ahead

What products or methods do you use for your weekly/monthly wipe downs?

Thanks
    f10 sc (vet grade disinfectant). I had to special order it from a company in Australia (vet-n-pet direct) as it's no longer sold int he US (I believe).
    The green f10scxd (sanitizer) still is though. If I remember right you need to rinse water bowls with the f10scxd because it has an added detergent.
    The f10sc was $100 for a liter bottle. Once diluted though this bottle will last quite some time! It may seem like it costs a lot, but it's actually really cost effective.
    I've heard chlorohexadine is also a good alternative and very cheap since you dilute it also. But I don't know much else besides that it's the second recommended cleaning agent besides f10sc (in my experience)

Edit: Found some specifics on it. The f10scxd does need to be rinsed from water bowls. f10sc does not. And as it states because of the dilution ratios it's extremely cost effective

Uses for F10®SC Veterinary Disinfectant
    · Effective and safe general disinfection of all hard surfaces (such as tables, floors and cages),
    · For animal housekeeping procedures (such as the cleaning of food and water bowls and bedding)
    · F10®SC can be sprayed on and left to disinfect after cleaning to provide additional biosecurity
    · Fogging of entire rooms and hard to reach surfaces
    · Fogging of air spaces to eliminate air-borne micro-organisms
    The high dilution rates mean that F10 is one of the most cost-effective disinfectant ranges on the market.

Uses for F10SCXD Veterinary Disinfectant/Cleanser
    · Safe and effective cleansing whilst reducing the microbial load.
    · Cleaning and disinfection of: floors; walls; tiles; kennels/cages; food and drink bowls; bedding; tables and basins
    · Due to the cleaning detergent contained in F10®SCXD, any food bowls or instruments that are to come in close contact with animals should be washed with clean water to ensure no soap residue is left.
    · Once cleaned, spraying with F10®SC solution and allowing to air dry will ensure continued disinfection during storage.
    The high dilution rates mean that F10SCXD is one of the most cost-effective disinfectant/cleaners on the market.
    Last edited by SnowShredder; 11-26-2014 at 01:45 PM.
    Females: 0.1 fire; 0.1 sugar; 0.1 GHI; 0.1 pinstripe het desert ghost; 0.1 mojave spider; 0.2 mojave; 0.1 black pewter blast; 0.1 leopard pied; 0.1 champagne; 0.1 pied; 0.1 super pastel lesser; 0.1 pewter; 0.1 spider het pied, 0.1 bumblebee; 0.1 lesser; 0.1 spider; 0.1 normal; 0.3 het pied
    Males: 1.0 het desert ghost; 1.0 pastel pied; 1.0 leopard; 1.0 black pastel; 1.0 enchi; 1.0 mojave; 1.0 cinnamon; 1.0 pied; 1.0 vanilla

Other species: 1.0.3 pacman frogs (sunkissed, super apricot, super blue, super lime green); 0.2 crested gecko; 1.0 hypo hog island boa; 0.1 normal boa; 1.0 rottweiler; 1.0 chihuahua

instagram = lesliep91

Thanks
    Ran past the editing time but wanted to ask if anyone knew if you need to rinse the cage also if you use f10scxd? Since it states "instruments that come in close contact with animals".

But that's why I went with f10sc, doesn't need to be rinsed and just air dry
    Females: 0.1 fire; 0.1 sugar; 0.1 GHI; 0.1 pinstripe het desert ghost; 0.1 mojave spider; 0.2 mojave; 0.1 black pewter blast; 0.1 leopard pied; 0.1 champagne; 0.1 pied; 0.1 super pastel lesser; 0.1 pewter; 0.1 spider het pied, 0.1 bumblebee; 0.1 lesser; 0.1 spider; 0.1 normal; 0.3 het pied
    Males: 1.0 het desert ghost; 1.0 pastel pied; 1.0 leopard; 1.0 black pastel; 1.0 enchi; 1.0 mojave; 1.0 cinnamon; 1.0 pied; 1.0 vanilla

Other species: 1.0.3 pacman frogs (sunkissed, super apricot, super blue, super lime green); 0.2 crested gecko; 1.0 hypo hog island boa; 0.1 normal boa; 1.0 rottweiler; 1.0 chihuahua

instagram = lesliep91

Thanks

Re: Cleaning agent questions

Thats interesting, 100 plus shippimg is a little over my price range comsidering I also in canada. But may be a consideration. Im might still be leaning towards chlorhexadine but im interested in everyone elses input lets hope later on we will get some more response to this thread :p very well Informed post though thanks for the info...I wish I had a vet friend...I coukd prolly get a good hookup on something I could use...lol.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Anyone try Natural Chemistry's Healthy Habitat?
    http://naturalchemistry.com/en/pet-h...althy-habitat/
    Local pet shop has it in stock but I'd like to know more about it before giving it a try.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The Golem For This Useful Post:

RetiredJedi (11-27-2014)

Thanks

I'm in Canada also. You can buy F10SC from the UK on eBay for much less than that (I can't remember how much though, sorry).
    Last edited by Creepy Alien; 11-26-2014 at 11:18 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Creepy Alien For This Useful Post:

The Golem (11-27-2014)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanks, Creepy. ebay price including shipping to Canada is 22.94 GBP ($41 CND) for 100 ml 'super concentrated'. With only one snake and one enclosure this would last a long time.
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/F10SC-100ml-2...-/191270160689
    Last edited by The Golem; 11-27-2014 at 06:19 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Golem View Post
    Anyone try Natural Chemistry's Healthy Habitat?
    http://naturalchemistry.com/en/pet-h...althy-habitat/
    Local pet shop has it in stock but I'd like to know more about it before giving it a try.
    I use this stuff also and love it. I got mine from Repticon and then bought a huge refill bottle so it lasts for quite a while since it only takes a couple sprays each time
    1.0 Boxer (Boba…@bobatheboxer on IG)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Blaming the leader of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their leader."
    ~unknown~
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    SUPPORT OUR WOUNDED WARRIORS
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredJedi For This Useful Post:

The Golem (11-29-2014)

Thanks

Thanks creepy and golem exactly what im looking for..I love this forum everyone is so helpful! Thants the exact price im looking to pay..I love it when people are willing to help me be a little more lazy and let me save time..any time saved from cleaning cages and fish tanks is a plus right? takes us a while to clean our 135g aquarium with fish so im limited on how much time I will have for the snake plus only have weekends for cleanings and 2 kids lol. Gotta balance all these things hehehe. Addictions addictions... thanks everyone. Ill order some of that f10sc asap.
    Last edited by Vudu_Meg; 11-27-2014 at 02:11 PM.