Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,575

0 members and 1,575 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks
    I have the chance to get a 5-6 y/o female red tail. She is currently 5' long the owner told me she has been a real slow grower and suspects that is to prior bad care before she got it. When hse picked her up years back she was in real bad shape but is it top nothc shape now. Her best guess is the snake wont get over 8' long due to the poor care it recieved before. I tend to think this will be a small snake her entire life based on that my friend has 2 red tails both 2 y/o that are male and already over 5' long and not power fed. Could poor care have stunted this snakes growth.

Also if I get her she will have to live in a 30 breader til december will she be fine like that If i take her out daily to stretch and get a workout. ?

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bad husbandry can stunt a snakes growth, snakes grow for the whole of thier lives so changing to the right set up should grow a little more. A 30 gal is way small for a 5' snake he needs at least an enclosure big enough to strech out part way in. A 5' snake needs at least a 50 to 60 gal enclosure I understand that its only for a short time but don't prolong bad care. If you want her then you will need to be able to provide proper care when you get her. If the person will hold it till you get the right setup I would do that. But don't put her through 2 months of a little, cramped house that just not right. Good luck
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks
    ok, I could move my BD to the 30breader and put the boa in my 55long til I get to texas and get my larger setup completed a 30breader tank isnt all that small though infact it has more floor space than a 55long does.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    The only downfall to knowing that snake was improperly cared for and probably resulted in stunted growth is accepting the fact that in the long run, it will most likley have a huge impact on the length of the snakes life......most likely shortening it considerably, at least from everything i've read. I may be completely wrong, but i thought mal-nutrition in large boids was worse to the lifespan than the known problems with power-feeding shortening their lives.

If anyone else is more knowledgable on the care of previously malnourished/poorely cared for snakes, i'd love to hear them chime in. I'd guess that Rusty_Reptiles on here probably would have some good insight for this topic since i believe he deals with rescued animals on daily basis(at least i think thats what i've read, but if i'm wrong, please forgive me)

p.s.
    for a good size comparison, my female(although she comes from a rather large line of females) was born 6/11/04, and is almost 3ft(probably more like 32-33inches...but i rounded up) and hasn't been powerfed at all. But her mother is a 10' female - and her father is a rather large adult as well.
    - Jason

1.1 Ball Pythons + ?? in a rack
    1.1 Corn Snake (m: Snow, f: LL Okeetee)
    0.1 Columbian Red Tailed Boa
    0.1 Rose Hair Tarauntula
    1 Emperor Scorpian
    1 Madagascar Hissing Cockaroach
    8.48 mice + lots'o'babies
    14.42 rats + lots'o'babies
    My basements quickly becoming a zoo full of secret projects :o

Thanks
    I agree with Jason's post above (except I'm a chick not a guy)
    Anyhow I will say that poor care can easily shorten and or stunt a snake. Depending on the length of time it recieved such care.
    We had a 23 yr old common boa that was approx 4.5 ft. Very small due to 18 years of bad husbandry. It happens.
    I would recommend giving the snake a proper enclosure (probably larger then a 30 gallon, even a breeder tank). Give her alot of time to adjust, isolate her for a good long time, and give her the proper veterinary treatment she needs including, but not limited too, at least a fecal exam.
    You, in the long run will not know how large she can grow untill she grows to her full capacity. Some snakes have surprised us on how fast they begin to grow and regain their stamina when given the proper care.
    I would also advise not paying for the animal. All in all if you are to buy a snake please go through a qualified breeder. If you are adopting her please just remember to provide her with the best care, including her medical care needs.
    Hope this helps
    Sincerely
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Thanks
    From what the current owner has told me, the snake has been in good care/health for the last 5 years now. I will place her in a larger enclosure in december when I get to texas, I am going to be ordering all vision tanks for my snakes and BD's. All I have is a 30 breader open atm and dont want to buy another tnak for 2 months. though it looks like this is going to fall through now.
    Basicaly the snake is in ohio im in tampa. The snake was to be driven down to me by this ladies parents to orlando and I would drive over and get it. but now her parents are flying not driving and she is unsure of shipping the snake plus her son now wants atleast 50 for it so I would be looking at around 100+ for the snake I could get one in the local area off a breader for that. I am awaiting pics if she looks great I may get her anyway. She is a BCI red tail so the smaller size isnt all that shocking now still a little small but not half what she should be
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_Reptiles
    I agree with Jason's post above (except I'm a chick not a guy)
    Anyhow I will say that poor care can easily shorten and or stunt a snake. Depending on the length of time it recieved such care.
    We had a 23 yr old common boa that was approx 4.5 ft. Very small due to 18 years of bad husbandry. It happens.
    I would recommend giving the snake a proper enclosure (probably larger then a 30 gallon, even a breeder tank). Give her a lot of time to adjust, isolate her for a good long time, and give her the proper veterinary treatment she needs including, but not limited too, at least a fecal exam.
    You, in the long run will not know how large she can grow untill she grows to her full capacity. Some snakes have surprised us on how fast they begin to grow and regain their stamina when given the proper care.
    I would also advise not paying for the animal. All in all if you are to buy a snake please go through a qualified breeder. If you are adopting her please just remember to provide her with the best care, including her medical care needs.
    Hope this helps
    Sincerely
    Rusty
    sorry for the mistaken gender

obviously no offense intended
    - Jason

1.1 Ball Pythons + ?? in a rack
    1.1 Corn Snake (m: Snow, f: LL Okeetee)
    0.1 Columbian Red Tailed Boa
    0.1 Rose Hair Tarauntula
    1 Emperor Scorpian
    1 Madagascar Hissing Cockaroach