Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,844

0 members and 2,844 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

What is PH Hypo?

So I went to a reptile show and picked up a "Enchi PH Hypo." It kinda just looks like a darker pastel that has a ghost look to it. What exactly is a PH Hypo. Also as soon as i put the Enchi PH Hypo in with a YellowBelly they locked almost instantly. What will their babies look like?
    Last edited by JakeThorn; 11-23-2014 at 05:08 AM.

Thanks

What is PH Hypo?

So I went to a reptile show and picked up a "Enchi PH Hypo." It kinda just looks like a brighter normal that has a ghost look to it. What exactly is a PH Hypo. Also as soon as i put the Enchi PH Hypo in with a YellowBelly they locked almost instantly. What will their babies look like?

Here is a picture of them. the one on top, ghost looking one, is the Enchi PH Hypo and the other is the yellowbelly. http://imgur.com/8xkKtak

Thanks
    im pretty sure the PH is possible het. so 25%, 50%, or 66% het for hypo. and that would depend on what the parents were. and i believe the offspring would be normal, enchi, yellow belly, enchi yellow belly wih chances of being Het hypo
    Last edited by thegamejr; 11-23-2014 at 07:59 AM.
    1.0 spinner blast "Igneel"
    0.1 normal"spitfire"
    1.1 mojave "grandeneey.smaug"
    0.1 yellow belly "saphira"
    0.1 lavender corn"princess"
    0.3 rats "elsa, tardis,lucy"

Banned
    Thanks

Re: What is PH Hypo?

Ph hypo mean possable het for hypo..... they will look like yellowbellys and normals het for enchi and the slim chance for het hypo. Enchi and hypo are resseive genes... i would do some more research befor you consider breeding if you are having trouble with the basics....... did u quarentine the
    arival at all or just hoping its healthy.. do you have an incubator ready.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to frostysBP For This Useful Post:

calmolly1 (11-23-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 971 Posts

Enchi is not recessive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to coldbloodaddict For This Useful Post:

Eric Alan (11-23-2014),PitOnTheProwl (11-23-2014),rlditmars (11-23-2014),somnambulant (11-23-2014),Stewart_Reptiles (11-23-2014),thegamejr (11-23-2014)

Banned
    Thanks

Enchi and hypo are resseive genes..

Correction enchi is a co/dom. Hypo is res... so yellow belly enchi is what you get. .. .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frostysBP View Post
    Ph hypo mean possable het for hypo..... they will look like yellowbellys and normals het for enchi and the slim chance for het hypo. Enchi and hypo are resseive genes... i would do some more research befor you consider breeding if you are having trouble with the basics....... did u quarentine the
    arival at all or just hoping its healthy.. do you have an incubator ready.
    My thoughts exactly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

PH Hypo does mean possible het for hypo. It could be that the breeding that produced the Enchi was between an Enchi and another snake and one of them may have been 100% Het for Hypo (Ghost) but there is no way to know if the gene was passed until you try to prove it out. That would be easiest done by eventually breeding the new snake with a Hypo female and seeing if any Hypos are produced. Even if it is het for hypo, it could take a couple clutches to prove out. Enchi is a codominant gene, not recessive, so the offspring you could produce may be Normal, YB, Enchi, or Enchi YB and until you prove out the Hypo I wouldn't even worry about the possibility of het for hypo in you clutch.

I agree with the poster below you that you should learn more about breeding before jumping into it, but my concern is not that you aren't clear on the genetics. (It may be helpful to the poster below you to brush up a little on genetics as well) My concern would be that it sounds like you went to a show, bought a snake, brought it home and put it with your animal without any quarentine period, what so ever. If that is not the case then forgive my presumption. If that is what you have done and the snake you purchased is carrying a disease or something lethal, what you may produce will not be an issue, as you may not have any animals left to work with. That is not responsible ownership. The number one rule of BP ownership; Always quarentine a new animal away from your collection for a period of 60 to 90 days minimum.

It's too late now to undo anything, but you may still want to look at some of the basic caresheets on this sight and sharpen up on egg incubation and hatchling care, before you need to know. Though it may be the case in some research processes, failure is not the best way to learn where living animals are concerned.
    Last edited by rlditmars; 11-23-2014 at 09:50 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

Eric Alan (11-23-2014),thegamejr (11-23-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Enchi is a co-dominant mutation (some will say incomplete dominant, which may be more correct but hardly anybody uses that term) It's a subtle mutation This link shows a few examples; Enchi. Possible het hypo means that it has the possibility of carrying the hypomelanistic mutation which is a recessive trait. Here is a link to some examples of hypomelanistic. Yellowbelly is another subtle mutation also known as het Ivory which is another co-dominant mutation, here are some yellowbelly examples.

If you breed the Enchi possible het hypo to a yellowbelly, you will get; enchi's, yellowbellies, normals, and enchi yellowbellies all of which will be possible het hypo.
    Last edited by MarkS; 11-23-2014 at 11:07 AM.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkS For This Useful Post:

Eric Alan (11-23-2014)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    My first thought is good luck but you seem to have forgotten a valuable step that would take you totally out of my potential buying circle.
    First step is to care for the safety of your animals, this would include quarantine.
    Second step would be research.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (11-23-2014),Daybreaker (11-23-2014),Eric Alan (11-23-2014),rlditmars (11-23-2014),Stewart_Reptiles (11-23-2014),thegamejr (11-23-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast