Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,942

0 members and 2,942 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Rant about a past loved snake

I have been wanting to get this off my chest for a while, but there are few people I know that have felt the pain of a passed reptile.

A few years ago, when I first began my collection (obsession) of snakes I had been dating a person who seemed to share this passion.
    I had just acquired my very first ball python Achilles and was in love. (Although, I have always fancied him quite a bit more than he fancies me, which is fine because he found a BFF in my now partner. So they hang out and I watch like a jealous ex lover.)
    Anyway, my ex boyfriend had acquired two snakes shortly after I did, one of which being the SWEETEST snake I have met in my life, a Costa Rican red tail named Pandora. The other was a jungle carpet python, that was kind of cranky all the time.
    If I have ever bonded with a snake it was Pandora...
    Making this a Campbell soup version of this story is hard, but needless to say my ex and I split, I begged to keep the red tail, but it was his snake.
    Over the course of a few months he had finally offered me the snake, but I was not in a position to house it, I asked for some time.
    he went out of town for a few months...
    and left his snakes with no one to care for them.
    they both died.
    and I really cannot get over that I didn't have the opportunity to save her, I feel so guilty. Had I known he was going out of town I would have housed her in anything.
    I get sick everytime I think about it.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python- Achilles
    0.1 Spider Ball Python- Indiga
    0.1 Western Hognose- Freyja
    0.1 Very fluffy flame point Siamese cat

Thanks
    Sorry I was crying pretty hard when I was typing a bit ago. But if I had known they were going to be abandoned for any length of time... I don't even know how well he was caring for them once I left him. When I asked why he didn't just hand the snakes over to me before he left the country he said it was because he wanted to get money for the enclosures he had built... Money over the animals' life...? It doesn't make any sense to me. I would have done anything to save them both, not just pandora. I think about what they must have been feeling, if they tried to get out of their enclosures, and what point they just gave up...
    I don't get it.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I'm sorry. We all have "Would have, could have, should have..." in our pasts. All we can do is learn from the experience and try to do better going forward.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Ophidia (11-20-2014)

Thanks
    that's so sad I'm sorry that this happened, some people just think about money and they think it outweighs an animal's life Sometimes things happen for a reason even if it's sad. You weren't prepared at the time to care for the extra animals so don't feel bad about it. We all have moments that we regret

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kcomstoc For This Useful Post:

calmolly1 (12-17-2014),Ophidia (11-25-2014)

Thanks
    I know I wasn't prepared for her...
    He could have even taken her back to the breeder he bought her from... He has an amazing reputation and loves his snakes.
    I would have made sure they both got somewhere safe.
    Sadly, I know this kind of stuff happens more often than I like to imagine.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ophidia For This Useful Post:

calmolly1 (12-17-2014)

Thanks

Re: Rant about a past loved snake

A bit odd how much this angered me, but I wont make this post too long aside from telling you there isn't much you could've done.
    But on the bright side, if enclosures were more important to him than a pets life, then maybe you two splitting is a bullet dodged, even if the pets were harmed in the process.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiraush For This Useful Post:

calmolly1 (12-17-2014),Ophidia (12-21-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    My heart goes out to you sweetie, it really does. It's hard to imagine why anyone would do such a thing to a living creature. Of course, we all know it happens every day, but that doesn't make it any easier to swallow.

Honestly, I would not be surprised if he did it to hurt you. People can be so petty and vengeful. It breaks my heart to think of such a reason to murder to innocent animals, but it could very well be true.

Take a deep breath, hold your head up high and congratulate yourself that this horrible person is no longer part of your life. If he would do something this cruel and calculated to his own animals, what might he be capable of doing to you? Yes it is hard to bear, and I know you feel you must bear the responsibility all alone. But know this for a fact my dear. This was not your fault, and you were not responsible for his actions. He and he alone made the choice to abandon his pets, knowing full well they would die a slow and horrible death. He is nothing short of a psychopath. And believe me when I say, you are much better off with him gone.

It will take time for you to heal hon, so give yourself the time you need. But don't waste another minute feeling sorry for this dirtbag. He doesn't deserve any concern from you.

I wish you all the best.

Gale
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

12. The Following User Says Thank You to angllady2 For This Useful Post:

calmolly1 (12-17-2014)

Thanks

Re: Rant about a past loved snake

I am so sorry for what happened to you and to the snakes. He is a horrible human being and you deserve better. Stay strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to calmolly1 For This Useful Post:

Ophidia (12-21-2014)