Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,014

0 members and 3,014 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Well, I guess I'm not sure about mold, but once you get the humidity in the tank regulated a bit more permanently you shouldn't need the humid hide save for maybe when he's going into a shed. If you can get the tank to maintain at the proper 50ish percent the humid hide won't be necessary. Otherwise you could get a big thing of Sphagnum and rotate it out each week - put a bunch in there and swap it after a few days, let the other stuff dry out really well. I haven't used it in my tank so I'm not sure, the only experience I have with sphagnum is keeping it wet for my orchids and Venus fly traps - I generally have some algae after a while, but no mold yet. I am considering making a temp humid hide with sphagnum when he goes blue, but I've only had him for about a week and thus far the damp coco husk mixed with the aspen is keeping the tank at a good humidity.

RE the thermostat, you can find a lot of good recommended brands reading the forums. if you check out the tub/tank setup stickies, I am fairly certain there's 3 brands linked there, a high end, midrange, and a cheaper one. I use the cheaper one, a Hydrofarm heat mat thermostat, it was ~30. It works great, some day I'd like to get a nicer one but for now it keeps my mat at the perfect temp.

Your snake is very lucky he ended up with you as an owner

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Spoons For This Useful Post:

Karokash (11-17-2014)

Thanks
    I actually just checked that exact thread . I am going to look around tomorrow one last time for one locally but now I have one I can order tomorrow night if I don't find anything. I'm itching to start construction on his sturdier and more snake specific home but alas, $$$. Thank you so much for all the information and help; it definitely helped me calm down for tonight. I have been so worried about him since I brought him home. (I hope I can sex him soon so I can know if i'm making a gender mistake) I'll feel loads better when I see those numbers in the ranges they are supposed to be. And when he finally eats I'll rest a lot easier. Thanks for clearing up the wet hide thing, using it as needed makes much more sense.

EDIT: just saw the compliment, thank you for that. I plan on doing much better for him as soon as I can, I just want to make sure he sticks it out with me until we get there.
    Last edited by Karokash; 11-17-2014 at 02:07 AM. Reason: missed a thanks

Thanks
    A light is not necessary, and will definitely contribute to drying out your cage. Most only use them for ambient temperatures since your UTH isn't going to change those much. If your room is already around 80 degrees the light is not needed. I second the coco husk substrate recommendation for humidity. I've found eco-earth to hold a lot higher humidity compared to aspen.

Not something I've tried but I've seen on the caresheet for ball pythons on this website and in other peoples posts they've used a lamp dimmer like the kind you'd get at home depot to tune down their UTH until they could get a thermostat.
    Last edited by salt; 11-17-2014 at 02:19 AM.

Thanks
    Thank you, you've been a huge help. I will mix the coco with the aspen first just so i don't waste the bag and see if it does anything. If it doesn't help then i'll just go straight to coco completely. I was actually worried at first that Kaa would try eating the coco or that it would be too abrasive. Thank you for the advice. As for the lamp, the ambient temps in the room are under 80 with it being winter, so I'll leave it for now. but i'll definitely consider putting it away once the freezes have passed.

For the record, this is the smallest and weakest UTH they sold...
    Last edited by Karokash; 11-17-2014 at 02:24 AM.

Thanks
    If you need to keep it warm in there overnight, I recommend a ceramic heat bulb. I use one so I can keep it on at night when it gets chilly without bothering the snake (and myself, since the tank is in my bedroom) with light. I have the lower wattage one.. I want to say 65? and it keeps my tank at an ambient 80, though my room is pretty toasty in itself. A higher wattage one could be hooked up to a dimmer to be regulated.

Thanks

Re: New owner and site member, BP Dehydrated from store.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
    If you need to keep it warm in there overnight, I recommend a ceramic heat bulb. I use one so I can keep it on at night when it gets chilly without bothering the snake (and myself, since the tank is in my bedroom) with light. I have the lower wattage one.. I want to say 65? and it keeps my tank at an ambient 80, though my room is pretty toasty in itself. A higher wattage one could be hooked up to a dimmer to be regulated.
    Fortunately the light seems to be one of the few things that isn't a problem. It might actually be a 50 watt and keeps the overall temp at about 80-83, it's just the UTH thats too hot right now. As for the light output its a purple-blue bulb that doesn't really light anything. Often I look and think it turned off because there is barely any light output, mainly heat. The eventual housing will use ceramic however.

Thanks

You could always try a light dimmer as an immediate fix for the UTH being to hot...just dial it in to a more appropriate temp. However, this is just until you can get a thermostat. I purchased a hydrofarm thermostat of Amazon for the UTH on my tank, and it seems to be running fine...I've had my BP for almost 2 years. I really need to weigh/measure him...but that's another topic. Anyways, a dimmer you should be able to find locally until you can get a thermostat shipped to you.

Aaron
    Aaron

1.0 Spider, Orange Dream, Yellow Belly

Thanks
    Allright, so, update: I went and bought a dimmer because I still couldn't find a thermostat like the one I need. I plan on ordering one but my truck just had to get put in the shop this morning so that grinds my funding to a halt for a few weeks. I also got the dual thermostat with the hydrometer so tonight I am going to set that up as well as put the foil on either sides of the lid and switch his water dish out for a bigger one.

The little stick on hydrometer was reading something like 15% this morning so I really think it is useless because that simply cannot be right. I will try again to get pictures once i'm done and I'll update on any progress it makes.

Still a little worried about the fact he hasn't eaten since I got him, only because I really can't trust the word of the store associates to know when he ate last, so I have no idea how long he's been without food. But he refused the last two feedings I tried so i'm hoping he's just fasting due to the shed and new acclimation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbelly76 View Post
    I purchased a hydrofarm thermostat of Amazon for the UTH on my tank, and it seems to be running fine...I've had my BP for almost 2 years.
    Aaron
    Do you mind me asking about how much that ran for you? I keep searching thermostats and all I seem to find are either really expensive ones or ones for houses that don't have plugins for things like UTH's. I have that link saved for the mid range thermos but as I mentioned, the truck dropped my immediate budget so even the $50 one would have to wait. Unless you think the dimmer will suffice for a few weeks until I get back from the mechanic bill.

Thanks
    I am seriously spamming my own board, sorry everyone, but I just found this

http://www.lllreptile.com/products/1...tat-with-probe

It's a brand that my local store carries so I could probably find it there if I ask them, just wondering if anyone had experience with the brand or this device specifically.
    0.0.1 Pastel (Kaa)
    1.0 Beardie (Puff)

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast