Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,475

1 members and 3,474 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Names that can mean different gene combos?

Most morph names refer to specific genes, but some morphs in snake speak can be achieved with different gene combinations. For example, on WOBP, a Gargoyle is a "black pastel x lace black back", but apparently in snake parlance it also can mean "black pastel x het red". The OWAL calculator calls it a "cinnamon x het red". Another example would be the BEL's. What are these names called? I think I've heard them called "visual morphs", but that name could be confusing.

What are other common examples of "visual morphs" (for lack of better term) for 2+ gene animals? I would like to know the most common ones because I have written my own calculator.

Side question: why in the OWAL calculator does crossing a Gargoyle with some 1 gene animal produce only 4 combinations? (E.g., why can't you get a normal?) Is this an error? If you use another 2 gene animal like Bumble bee x Fire, you get 8 possibilities as expected.
    http://www.owalreptiles.com/genetics...7&38&pos&issue

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Cinnamon and het red are allelic

3. The Following User Says Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

jplehmann (11-13-2014)

Thanks
    Thanks OWAL, that makes sense. Are many genes that are considered allelic? I'm only aware of the ones we mentioned above -- and those in the BEL series.

Also, is there a name for morph names which can refer to different gene combinations, like Gargoyle or BEL? I guess this could occur because of technical (allelic) or non-allelic reasons (e.g., convention, because they look the same).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Here is all the allelic gene I know that are proven http://www.owalreptiles.com/complexes.php

there isn't really a name as you describe as most people are going to use one name and disregard the others, I mean I know it's not proven but I strongly believe we will eventually find het red, green pastel, and lace to be the same gene. so to me a cinny x het red/green pastel/lace is a gargoyle . I have always heard the black pastel x het red/green pastel/lace referred to as a black gargoyle.

Some might consider a Super mojave a BEL, which I do not, as it is no more lucy than pied. Some people just call anything in that complex a BEL even if the snake is purple. But if it actually looks like a complete lucy most of the time, I consider them to be BEL.

Then do you call a super pastel pinstripe and super pastel spider pinstripe the original name or the WoBP name? BHB created them first and called it a super blast (super pastel pin) and killer blast (super pastel pin spider), years later WoBP changed credit to NERD (which is untrue) and changed the name to killer blast (superblast) and killer spinner (killer blast)

Most of the the cross over names (there I made up a name) are because people didn't know two different lines of a same gene were in fact the same gene until later on. It's going to be case by case of the reasons names are, the way they are.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

BumbleB (11-13-2014),dr del (11-13-2014),jplehmann (11-13-2014)