Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,105

1 members and 2,104 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    If I were to buy two young cresties and was unsure of their sex, but when they got older, one was a male and one a female, will I have to separate them? I'm not planning to have crestie eggs! :wink: Also, if I were to house the young ones in a sterilite bin, would it get too humid in there? What would be good dimensions for the tank to keep 2 young cresties? Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,322 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Blog Entries
    first of all take a look at this care sheet: http://www.ball-pythons.net/Sections...11-page-1.html

second of all, if you do get a pair that turn out to be male and female you will have to separate them to avoid them possibly breeding. it might be worth it for you to purchase two cresties that have already been sexed even though it may mean they are more expensive than unsexed. it would save you money in the long run anyhow, as far as getting a second enclosure or having to care for and feed a bunch of babies.
    - Emily

Thanks
    Marla's caresheet is the most complete and best i've seen. I'd definitely give it a look through. She goes over caging, and has a great idea for some custom crestie caging.
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

Thanks
    oh ha ha. I was poring over that caresheet today. I guess it completely slipped my mind that she suggested the use of the rubbermaid bins. thanks

I think I'm going to go to a reptile show next week. Would a breeder have a good idea what sex they are even if they are young? (I don't know if the temperature-sex thing applies to the cresties)

Thanks
    you can't really be accurate with sexing cresteds until around 6 months of age!

thanks
    vaughn
    you can't have just one!

Thanks

What is this?

The temperature thing does not seem to apply to cresties as far as can be determined so far. The gender ratio for crestie hatchlings seems to stay about 3 females to 2 males, or 60% female hatchlings for large populations. That gives you slightly better than even odds of getting females if you buy them too small for sexing. If you wait, your odds of getting males go up tremendously because breeders hold on to females more. Some breeders have pretty good ability to look at the preanal pores with a jeweler's loupe and determine sex before the "cresticles" develop, but in general most wait for the bulge.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    Oh, and if you use Rubbermaid or Sterilite housing, be sure to provide good ventilation by replacing half or more of the lid or most of one side with galvanized or plastic mesh. Otherwise it becomes stale in there pretty quickly. Welcome to the site, by the way!
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    great! thanks a lot everyone!