Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,898

2 members and 2,896 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new fish

Thanks
    Very pretty tank. I like the decor

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    thanks i always love skull themes in fish tanks lol i also like Asian themes too.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: new fish

Are you going to add any more fish ??? An Albino Plecostumus would look immense in there and they max out at 5" so not huge like the other more common Plecs ....also if you want the fish to be the attractions I'd swap to black gravel as it looks real classy and shows the fish off. They use it in show / display / competition tanks .

Thanks
    Balas are cool guys! Keep the gupies out... or put them in

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    well sadly the balas died, i dont know why either but im guessing its because the water was too hard, but the rainbow shark is still alive and doing well i also picked up 2 african cichlids today and they are all getting along well so far. i used to have 2 cichlids before, they died due to a power outtage last winter and the water got too cold for them :/ so im really excited to get more, they are my fav freshwater fish. ill post pics of them tomorrow

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Are you going to add any more fish ??? An Albino Plecostumus would look immense in there and they max out at 5" so not huge like the other more common Plecs ....also if you want the fish to be the attractions I'd swap to black gravel as it looks real classy and shows the fish off. They use it in show / display / competition tanks .
    ill add more when i get my 75 gallon up and running, ill be using white and blue gravel (more white that blue tho) might put a bag or 2 of black gravel in with the mix but not sure yet. i like using all black gravel but wanted to try something new this time, pink is my fav color so i went with that mixed with purple and black lol

Thanks

new fish

Quote Originally Posted by Alexiel03 View Post
    ill add more when i get my 75 gallon up and running, ill be using white and blue gravel (more white that blue tho) might put a bag or 2 of black gravel in with the mix but not sure yet. i like using all black gravel but wanted to try something new this time, pink is my fav color so i went with that mixed with purple and black lol
    The only trouble with multi coloured gravel is whilst it can look eye catching to the casual onlooker .. the colours actually detract from the real ' stars' your fish . Display tanks ( apart from marine ones ) normally have black gravel and then the plants look great and your eyes are drawn to just the fish . ..imagine how those skulls would look on a bed of jet black
    Last edited by Zincubus; 01-03-2015 at 04:54 AM. Reason: error

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

here are some pics of the new cichlids i got yesterday the albino one is hard to get pics of cuz hes always on the move lol

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    The only trouble with multi coloured gravel is whilst it can look eye catching to the casual onlooker .. the colours actually detract from the real ' stars' your fish . Display tanks ( apart from marine ones ) normally have black gravel and then the plants look great and your eyes are drawn to just the fish . ..imagine how those skulls would look on a bed of jet black
    yeah ill probably eventually switch to all black gravel, i used to have black with a little bit of blue mixed with it

Thanks

new fish

I may be wrong here and get shot down from all sides ( again ) but they look kinda like my old Lake Malawi cichlids I used to keep a while back
    If so the one thing to remember is that these are 'usually' get very territorial , very quickly and weirdly the best thing to do is to loads of rocky areas giving little territories and hiding places AND also they thrive when there are huge numbers of them as it cuts down on the bullying ( its true !) .

It goes against everything we are told in the fish keeping world but it works with Lake Malawi cichlids .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dianesdigitals/925776775/
    Last edited by Zincubus; 01-04-2015 at 10:32 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast