Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,824

1 members and 2,823 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks
    Ok guys... as some of you know, I'm in the process of building my dream cage for Eleanor. My mom's boyfriend is helping me. As I was putting on the first coat of stain, we ran into two major dead ends as to what to do with the doors. We've pretty much decided to go with sliders, but don't really know how to go about doing this... we have alot of scrap wood lying around from rebuilding my deck and him re-doing part of his aunt's house. He brought home some crown molding that kinda looks like you could slide glass in it... but we really dont know. Has anyone built their own sliding doors before?? Also, we're not sure whether to go with glass or plexi-glass... pros and cons of both? Thanks again in advance for any replies!
    -Lindsay

0.1 ball python - 1.1 leopard geckos

Thanks
    Plexi glass will expand more when heated and is more likely to warp than glass. I picked up a sheet this week and if I remember correctly plexiglass can expand to as much as 8 times more (it was talking about use in windows). Plexi glass is of course lighter, less likely to break, but more likely to scratch as compared to glass.

I'm not entirely sure which one would hold heat in better. You could cut grooves and then attatch thin slices of wood to hold the glass in, but i wouldn't recommend trying that. I get the feeling it would be hard to put together and keep from breaking (I've never tried to make sliding doors). Cutting grooves might still work though.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks
    i have sliding glass doors on adrians tank and its on a track you would put glass on. lol...i can snag u a pic later if you want, just trell me
    ~Jason~

0.1 BCI-Adrian
    1.0 Burm-Homer
    1.0 Tiger Retic-Buster
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If you give up before you try, then you never really wanted it in the first place."
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v708/BCImperator11/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Rex- a pic would be great! I'd really appreciate that
    -Lindsay

0.1 ball python - 1.1 leopard geckos

Thanks
    I was not able to find any runner for the enclosure I am building. I found everything that I needed to make my own at home depot however. This is what I am doing.

1.0 Green tree python

Thanks
    Here is the best place I have found to get track you would use either part 180 or 140 depending on how thick you want your glass
    http://www.outwater.com/miracle2.htm

I prefer glass after building many many cages It isnt as thermally efficient as plexi glass but it stays nice looking far longer and is easier to clean make sure you have the edges sanded

Thanks
    Very cool Robert. Inexpensive stuff too. I assume its worked out well for you?
    Thanks for posting that link.
    1.0 Green tree python

Thanks
    It works really well its made of styrene so its a pretty tough plastic , I also should have added that when using it on a wood cage the original liquid nails works very well for attaching it , run a thin 1/4" bead press the track down on it and tape it down with masking tape to secure it until it dries .it is the exact same track sold by rockler wood working and I think customcages.com which sells the stuff for like 10 bucks a foot !
    True value hardware stores often carry 4 foot sections of the same thing marketed by KV plastic track

Thanks

Just a question about something I noticed lately..

I'm sure home depot/Lowes would be able to help you out if you just went and told them what you need exactly, I'm sure you'll go there for plexi glass anyways.

Thanks
    hey I have a quick question, you said you were using left over lumber from your deck, it's not treated lumber is it ?
    I just wonder about the safety of that since it does carry small amount of arsenic. Would that be harmful to the bp?
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be measured by the way it's animals are treated"
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi~