Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,303

0 members and 2,303 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: New Arrival

Thanks

Re: New Arrival

Looking good. I really like rainbow boas. He is gorgeous and best of luck with him and your other snakes.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    Here are some photos of Sanji with my mom's new Nikon.

I flipped him over and I think his brain short-circuited.

In his tub. He's grown so much he almost looks like what he did in his old tub when I first got him. He's still a thin string bean, though.

The white patches on his nose makes him look like he has angry eyebrows. lol

So apparently my local pet shop shut down, so the past few feedings I've just been giving him two hoppers, but I may have to break down and buy some mice from Petsmart because I'm just not having a day off where I can go to the pet store 40 mins away.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

Thanks
    I'd send you some of mine, if I could! I just got four rats to form a breeding colony - but I've got three female mice that gave birth, and between them there are 27 little crawlers and hoppers just getting their eyes open! And just when I get a good batch of mice, my BP's are getting so big they need rats already...

Thanks

Re: New Arrival

Quote Originally Posted by Caspian View Post
    I'd send you some of mine, if I could! I just got four rats to form a breeding colony - but I've got three female mice that gave birth, and between them there are 27 little crawlers and hoppers just getting their eyes open! And just when I get a good batch of mice, my BP's are getting so big they need rats already...
    Yeah, I was just going to buy a few adult mice to hold him over and some mouse pinks to hold my eastern garter over, until I buy my next shipment the weekend after next. But then the pet store that's only a few minutes away turned out to be shut down! And the one 40 mins away closes at 7pm or 9pm I don't remember, and I normally work in the evenings so I don't get off on time. See, the good thing about the local pet store is it's close enough I can make a quick trip there before work, but I might be late if I try to go to the one out of town. There are closer pet stores, but they're mostly Petsmart/Petco/Pet Supermarket, so I try not to go there.

I am picking up 3 female mice tomorrow to breed with the male I have, so maybe here in the next couple of months I'll start breeding my own. But I'll still have to buy rats in the mean time, because I don't have room for a rat colony. Gotta find a way to modify the shed outside so that they won't overheat or get too cold, and then I'll get some rats set up out there.
    Last edited by CloudtheBoa; 01-30-2016 at 12:54 AM.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")

Thanks
    Unfortunately, I could only find one place in Reno that sold live rats. I got four, and ended up with three girls and a boy... and all of them thin, clearly unhandled, covered in filth, and they were snuffling and sneezing. I wouldn't feed those to any snake. I've got them isolated now, trying to get them healthy. Now they're clean, fattening up, and I've got the cages covered with heat pads underneath. Got a suggestion from a friend on how to help with the breathing - I took baby food jars, punched holes in the top, put a piece of sponge inside with Vicks on it, and put that in above where the heat pad is. They loved it. They would actually sleep with their heads on top of the jar, and now I've got three that aren't sniffling and sneezing any more. So here's hoping that I can still make a colony out of them. Hopefully, you'll have better luck with your attempt at a colony that I had!

Thanks
    Sanji recently shed and currently weighs 161 grams. The rodent shipment should be arriving this week, so he should be started on adult mice with his next feeding.

Here are some photos of his feeding silliness.

First step A: Wrap

First step B: Do Yoga

Second step: Try Bending it for Ease of Swallowing

Which resulted in this lump.

Eating his second mouse.

Now for shed photos!

Last edited by CloudtheBoa; 02-22-2016 at 11:27 PM.
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

Thanks
    Well, this was Sanji's second meal with an adult mouse, and the first one barely left a bulge, but this last one left a rather large bulge. So, I think I might stagger hopper mice in every other feeding as another keeper advised after all.

And the resulting bulge. It doesn't stand out from his body much, but it resembles the bulges I saw in my BCI when I was feeding him jumbo-sized rats when he should have been eating mediums, and you can kinda see how tall the bulge is where his sides are showing. That whole top coil is the bulge.

I will also be starting up his 14 day schedule again, considering the size of the meals and that he'll be 2 in August.
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

Thanks
    I got outside a bit late in the day, so the lighting was terrible. Sanji's photos turned out much better than Nymeria's, though.

He's way overdue for a weighing, but I want to make sure he's empty after that big meal, so I'll probably give him a couple more days unless I find a turd somewhere.
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

Thanks
    Sanji came in at 186 grams yesterday. At this rate, maybe he'll get over 200 grams by end of April or May. He put on 25 grams since I weighed him last month, so if he puts on another 25 grams by this time next month, then he'll be doing good.

I'll continue giving him adult mice every other feeding until the bulge becomes smaller. Once he stops getting bulges, or maybe even before then, I'll switch him to rat pups or weaned rats, which ever are closer to the small adult mice from Big Cheese. I'm thinking rat pups, though.

3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

Thanks
    Sanji looking miserable in shed. He was being especially moody this time, rearing up at me and sneezing/huffing to his heart's content.

But he was looking good once he shed!

3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast