Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,046

3 members and 3,043 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Too soon to handle?

This might be a silly question, but anyways here's the deal: my BP went off food for about a month and last week he ate normally, but yesterday when I gave him a mouse, he wouldn't feed. I know that they go off food sometimes and I'm not worried about that at all.
    My question here is: can I handle him today as he didn't eat yesterday, or should I just leave him alone (to not stress him out or idk)?

Thanks

Re: Too soon to handle?

Handling can stress him out but as long as you don't overdo it (try to avoid more than a few times a week, and right before/after feeding) then you should be fine.

One of my pueblan milk snakes went off feed for 6 months, and she was a tiny little thing. I'm sure he will be okay

Thanks
    Yes you should be fine,with light handling as mentioned above. A month with out eating is really no big issue. It seems that yours is on it's way back to normal feeding, in the near future. I have one that went nine month's with out eating. Now he's doing fine and eating normally for him anyway.

Thanks

I have seen the recommendation to not handle the day of feeding (to avoid stress based refusal) and to wait 24-48 hours after they eat. In the same position, I would probably handle lightly provided that you are not planning on feeding him until the next scheduled feeding day. I gave Shesha three days before feeding with no handling at all the first time he refused food. He was not eating well yet so I was a bit more concerned about it than you would need to be if he is a solid feeder and weighs a good amount. Usually I go by the snakes signs for the most part. If he is out and about I am less reluctant to take him out of his enclosure than if he is hiding. If he is being handled and I notice that he is searching for places to hide I put him back but if he is just extending his neck and calmly exploring, and I am seeing lots of tongue flicking, steady and calm breathing, and no hyperactivity I figure he is handling it fine. My understanding is that zero tongue flicking paired with excessive movement is a sign that a snake is frightened, as of course would be tight balling. My inclination would be that you could safely give it a try but I would definitely watch closely for signs of stress just in case.
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 1.0 Red Tail Boa, 1.0 Carpet Python, 1.0 Western Hognose, 1.0 Tremper Leopard Gecko, 0.1 Chinchilla, 2.0 Cats, 1.0 Dog, 0.1 Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula, 0.0.1 Desert Blonde Tarantula.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kiiarah For This Useful Post:

QueenB (10-11-2014)

BPnet Senior Member WarriorPrincess90's Avatar
    Thanks
    Personally, if any of my animals go off feed, I don't touch, hold, or bother them at all unless cleaning becomes necessary until they have eaten 3 times consecutively. It generally solves the feeding problem.

- Nakita

Thanks
    I personally think the "hands off" line of thinking is baloney, but if that is what it takes to get your snake eating then I guess that is what you have to do

BPnet Senior Member WarriorPrincess90's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'm speaking from experience regarding my animals. One of my snakes I have owned for almost 5 years now. I used to hold him a couple times a week whether he was eating or not. The more I learned, the more I understood it may not be in his best interest. When I stopped handling or bothering him during fasts, the fasts became shorter and shorter. Now, he is still a mouser, but a mouse pounding Monster. And I have not had an issue keeping my snakes eating weekly anymore. I get the occasional refusal. Everyone does. But it's rare. I'd rather have my animals eating regularly than coddle them when they refused their last feeding. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by WarriorPrincess90; 10-09-2014 at 05:59 PM.

- Nakita

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WarriorPrincess90 For This Useful Post:

QueenB (10-11-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by albinos_rule View Post
    I personally think the "hands off" line of thinking is baloney, but if that is what it takes to get your snake eating then I guess that is what you have to do
    If it's baloney, but that's what it takes to get your snake eating, then how is it baloney?
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

WarriorPrincess90 (10-09-2014)

Thanks
    We handle ours all the time. I bought my wife a female bumblebee she had to have. It didn't eat the first 3 weeks of being in it's new home. She held it a couple times the first week and almost everyday since. the 4th week it ate a rat pink, the 5th 2 rat pinks, the 6th a rat pup, the 7th 2 rat pups. She hasn't stopped eating. All my others eat weekly unless they're shedding, and most of the time they'll eat then too.
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    1. Bumblebee 1. Black Pastel Kingpin 1. Pastel Tiger
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets

Thanks
    I tried handling him that day and he seemed to be okay with it as far as I can tell. I guess I thought since he didn't eat that he would be agitated and it would be better to leave him alone, but I gave it a try and it turned out fine (and now I feel a bit silly asking that in the first place ).
    I even let my 4-year-old nephew handle him today for the first time and it also went very well, both for the snake and the kid.
    Anyway, thanks for all the replies guys!