Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,289

4 members and 1,285 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Do boas need hides?

I have a male boa over five feet now and he out grew his hides. The problem is, I cannot find any that are bigger, anywhere. So I went and got a plastic severing/mixing bowl (the darkest the had was purple) and I cut a hole into it. I know it would fit him but he wont use them. Is this okay? He doesn't seem anymore aggressive then usual. He isn't the nicest boa, he likes to attack us through the glass even when he had a hide.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Yes they still need hides. I give my 6' gal just one hide though now on the cool side as she mostly only uses it when shes shedding or when she wants alone time. If you got a Walmart by you, try one of these http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-...Black/17011370. I use these for her and she fits in perfect and is very happy. Plus they are easy to wash. Just remember to cut a half moon for the door so the bottom is open so the snake cant get stuck if it doubles back on itself in the doorway.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 01-17-2016 at 11:29 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Gio (01-17-2016),Reinz (01-18-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    There are hides that will easily fit a 5-7 foot BC. My fella uses these two turtle shell hides all of the time. He is a 6+ footer.

"Needing"? Well you'll probably be able to get by without, but I would always provide as many options as possible. If you are simply housing a pet and not housing multiple animals that require efficiency setups you should provide hides and climbing options.

Your BC will display a wider range of behaviors by doing so. Snakes, all of them, are secretive by nature. They are not frequently found out in the open and far from cover without good reason.

Hides will offer them a place to feel secure if the need arises.

Stress in snakes is responsible for far more illness than people attribute it to. Stress can cause various issues that can weaken an immune system and open it up to a whole host of problems.

While I doubt this will be a serious issue with your animal, I would not discount offering a secure place for the snake. You can either make your own hide, look for the type I use, or look at large half log type hides. There are options.

If you offer some options and the snake uses them, it is a no brainer.

Be alert to cues your snake might be giving as well.

Does it pick a corner in the rear of the cage and coil tightly? That may be a sign the snake feels more secure there than any other spot in the cage, but doesn't necessarily mean it is secure. It just means that is the most secure spot it is able to find.

Some folks convert cat litter boxes into hides, some use large ceramic flower/plating pots.

Ultimately the choice is up to you, but as I said before, providing options is the best bet for a animal that prefers secrecy and security.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Reinz (01-18-2016)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    My BC is about 5.5 feet and still fits in the XL reptile basics hide with some room to spare. They've got one more size bigger I can get then I figured we would have to make some out of bigger rubbermaids or something. I like to have some sort of cover and hide out for my animals.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Gio (01-18-2016)

Thanks
    i've used these for large blood/borneo and coastal carpets. they come in two sizes I think.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasgad-M...101A/202086173

Thanks

Re: Do boas need hides?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
    i've used these for large blood/borneo and coastal carpets. they come in two sizes I think.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasgad-M...101A/202086173
    They do not sell those here. I tried looking for one a while ago to build new rodent breeder racks. They do not sell them in my area.

I never thought of a kitty litter pan. I will have to go look for one and see if he will use it.

After putting in the mixing bowls for his new hides, he did start laying in the back corner behind the mixing bowl on the warm end. He really doesn't seem to be stressed at all though. He still eats and still seems lively and is active at night.

I will go to walmart and see about those litter pans. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    I get plastic bus tubs from a local restaurant supply store for $5 and cut an access hole in them. They work well as big snake hides since they're very sturdy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I get plastic bus tubs from a local restaurant supply store for $5 and cut an access hole in them. They work well as big snake hides since they're very sturdy.
    $5 !!! I need to look into this.

Thanks
    Okay, this is probably a stupid question but what is a bus tub? Are those those things bus boys walk around picking up dirty dishes? And where would get one of those if there are no restaurant supply stores?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BCS View Post
    Okay, this is probably a stupid question but what is a bus tub? Are those those things bus boys walk around picking up dirty dishes? And where would get one of those if there are no restaurant supply stores?
    Yes, and online.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/3425...iXohoCgqLw_wcB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast