Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,960

3 members and 2,957 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Recently Diagnosed

I was recently diagnosed with Bipolar II, and am currently working with both a therapist and psychiatrist to find medications that work for me. I'm having a hard time dealing with everything. My anxiety has shot through the roof worrying about side effects and changes in my body chemistry. One of the meds I'm taking has a side effect of weight gain, and that's not making it any easier with the body image issues I've always had to struggle with. I'm having a really hard time talking to anyone about it, and was just wondering if anyone here has been through anything similar?
    -Hannah

0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Wednesday)

Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal (Pugsley)
    2.0 Cinnamon (Peep & Tank)
    1.0 Lesserbee (Lemon Meringue)
    0.1 Super Pastel (Dollop)
    0.1 Pewter (Trifle)
    0.1 Hypo Pastel (French Toast)
    0.1 Mojave (Tiramisu)
    0.1 Pastel Sugar (Boston Creme Pie)

Thanks
    While I haven't experienced it directly, I worked in a mental health facility for a few years and can tell you you're on the right track. The med situation will be a pain until you find what works for you. There are almost too many different combinations you can try, eventually you will find one that is perfect.

The most important thing is don't give up on your situation. A lot of psych meds are more dangerous when quit cold turkey. Keep your doctors informed to what side effects you're having and any other issues. It may take a while, or it could be the first meds you try, but eventually you will find what works.

I hope things work out for you sooner than later. Stay strong.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Re: Recently Diagnosed

Being bipolar is a tough situation to deal with. I myself have bipolar with borderline personality disorder and severe anxiety. Hang in there because they will find the right combination of meds for you. I have to be realistic though, it could take a long time until they find the right meds for you. It took years until the doctors figured out what combination of meds worked for me. Bipolar is a rollercoaster ride that you need to hang tough to deal with. I have my good days and my really bad days too. I can tell you this, having a snake has made all the difference in my ability to be able to cope with the mania and mood swings. My snake keeps me sane so to speak. I love handling the snake, it really helps calm me down. Good Luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks
    Thanks for the support. Its been hard to come to terms with taking meds and remembering to take them everyday. Having the snakes (and soon the rats too) is really helpful to keeping me from sinking into the depression I was dealing with before, where all I did was eat and sleep. Having critters that need me kind of helps to get me out of bed some days.
    -Hannah

0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Wednesday)

Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal (Pugsley)
    2.0 Cinnamon (Peep & Tank)
    1.0 Lesserbee (Lemon Meringue)
    0.1 Super Pastel (Dollop)
    0.1 Pewter (Trifle)
    0.1 Hypo Pastel (French Toast)
    0.1 Mojave (Tiramisu)
    0.1 Pastel Sugar (Boston Creme Pie)