Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,471

3 members and 3,468 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

Re: ATB as a beginner arboreal species ?

100% dwarf males get to 8ft. Females 10-12ft. 100% SD males get to 5-6ft and females 6-7ft. Generally speaking.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (10-12-2014)

Thanks
    ATBs are very easy boas to keep and they're not anywhere near as aggressive as their reputation. As a person that has kept both Amazons and cared for Dwarf Retics, my advice is to stick with an Amazon for starters.

I suggest you do some reading online regarding their care, because the space requirements for an ATB will be much easier to meet. These are very forgiving boas in terms in heat and humidity too, they can tolerate hot/cold temps far better than any "Arboreal" boa.

Another thing to consider is the aggressiveness of the two snakes; both ATBs and Retics can be tame if handled with care. But a bite from a six foot ATB is nothing more than an irritant. However a bite from a nine foot Retic can do significant damage.
    And then there’s the “Arboreal” factor. Both of these snakes are not completely arboreal, both species spend most of their time perches as youngsters. However as they grow older they will spend much of their time on the cage floor foraging and basking too.
    Darren

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

I didn't know that. I thought ATBs were completely arboreal.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks

I've done quite a bit of research on both species over the past 5-6 months. I'm still about a 6-8 months from actually acquiring either of these species, I just like to prepare in advance. I have quite a lot of options on the table and to be honest, I have absolutely no idea what species I'll be getting. There's just so many good options.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    I didn't know that. I thought ATBs were completely arboreal.
    Adults will spend a portion of their time on the ground of the cage. I use thermal gradients from belly heat and from the top of the cage and my adults will use either source for thermoregulation and can be seen there during the day or at night.

When adults do perch, they tend to have loose coils (In comparison to GTPs or Emeralds) where they prefer thicker branches. If you use PCV the amazon will often seek out any cross beams in the PVC for a wider perching area or notches of wooden branches.

Neo's however are primarily arboreal, not often venturing to the cage floor (Unless you are sing especially small Rubbermaid's).

Darren

Thanks

Do neonates get stressed if they can't perch ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedycat222 View Post
    Do neonates get stressed if they can't perch ?
    Neo ATBs not being able to properly to perch can cause stress. Neo's will have a harder time accepting meals if they’re not allowed to perch. A correctly positioned perch provides security for neo ATBs, and will allow them to start feeding naturally.

Typically neo ATBs strike prey items from a perch, much the same as a GTP or ETB. The real stressor for neo's happens when they can't perch AND their being fed live prey items. An owner will leave a fuzzy mouse in with the neo at feeding time (Evenings/night typically), since the neo can't perch properly it will not feed as easily as it would if it had the security of a perch to feed from. A live prey item (Such as a small fuzzy mouse) will wander the cage “bumping” into the ATB as it crawls. This “bumping” will cause the ATB to stress out, and this stress will make it unlikely to feed.

That said, neo ATBs are typically very easy to get started if you follow appropriate guidance:
    - Provide a perch a few inches above the cage floor (4” should do).
    - Use a fuzzy mouse opposed to a pinky (Fuzzy mice give off more body heat/odor).
    - Proper heat and humidity temps

Regards,
    Darren Hamill

Thanks

Okay, if I get one I'll install a perch in the tub. Thanks.

Thanks
    What is an arboreal species? A poisonous species?
    Im just throwing around my opinions. Im trying to give as much help as I've received on this website

1.0 Ball Python
    2.0 Red Clawed Scorpion

(1.0 means Male right?)

Thanks

Arboreal species are species that dwell primarily in trees, apposed to terrestrial species which dwell on the ground. Snakes aren't poisonous, poisons are a toxin you ingest, venoms are toxins you inject.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12