Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,852

1 members and 2,851 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

book/video

Smulkins got me thinking about a blood (at least that's who I'm blaming!) , but I'm getting confused about what the different types are, their size differences and temperament differences. If anyone has a good online resource they'd like to recommend - I'm all ears.
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    I would definately talk to KLG. I received some great info from her on bloods when I was considering getting a Black Blood. Just make sure though, that the animal you get is definately captive bred and born as wild caught ones, even captive hatched babies, can be very defensive. KLG's bloods have good temperments, thus their babies have it too. Well anywho, Good Luck!
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks
    GUILTY! Contributing to the diversification of a herper

Definitely talk to kara - start by checking her site's caresheets:

http://www.newenglandreptile.com/care.html

Size-wise they stack up along these averages (females referenced):

Red Blood (brongersmai): 4-6'
    Borneo Short-Tail: (breitensteini): 3-5'
    Black Blood (curtus curtus): 3.5-5.5'

Of course there are exceptions to those sizes and I am by no means an authority on them - hoping Kara will hop in here and shine us some more light. I know she knows of some geographical trends in disposition among them depending on origin locality. Our uber-gentle Black Blood I am told is by no means the norm for this species hehe - but as is generally the case frequency of interaction is the key in acclimating your blood to handling.

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanks for the link. On my way to check it out now. So do the 3 types have generally the same width/thickness or does one tend to be a little thinner? If it helps, I'd probably be looking at getting a male if I get one.

And are they generally good/reliable eaters (not prone to go off feed)?
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks

Normal wild corn

Hey Smulkin, I was at a reptile show in Dallas a few months ago and held a wonderful black blood female. She was the epitome of sweet. I think she was in Bob Clark's bunch. He had some awesome snakes there. Kara had also told me that the Black Bloods are the most docile out of the blood group, that's why I was considering getting one until the 'rents said no snakes yet. Anywho.. Night
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks
    The longer the thicker - so at 6' I imagine a mature brongersmai would be the thickest of the three. Kali had really stressful transit and it took her a few weeks to get acclimated in enough to start eating - the other two ate right off the bat and have only skippped meals while in shed. Thas a terribly small sample to go off I know. And our son's Black Blood has similar temperment, Satanic - almost afraid to say he's the most tractable snake in our house.

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

OOPS damndamn this anon stuff hehe

Looking at pics I really like the color/pattern of the Borneos. I've found some pics of the other blood types with humans holding them, but have yet to see and adult Borneo pic being held by a person - just to give me an idea of how thick they get. Thanks for all the help so far. If anyone can point me to an adult pic of a borneo (preferably male) with some kind of size reference that would be great. Or if you can give me an idea of how thick they get (as thick as a coke can, as thick as a 2 liter soad bottle, as thick as a watermelon, etc).
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NERD caresheet
    Hatchlings approximately 12 - 16"+/-. Females average 4'- 6', males average 3' - 5' adult size. Maximum size is around 10 feet, although 8'+ specimens are considered large. Blood pythons are heavy, robust snakes that may exceed 40 pounds in weight as mature adults.
    40 pounds! i'm assuming that would be a blood that was closer to the 10 foot mark? that has to be one heck of a girthy snake!
    - Emily

Thanks
    Actually mlededee, thats probably about a 6-7 footer :shock:. They get girthy as all get out.
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Someone on Kingsnake just told me his borneo males have between a 12-16 inch diameter....that sounds a lot larger than I thought - could that be right?
    Crested Gecko

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast