Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,861

0 members and 2,861 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

I'm back with a new BP and a few ?'s

Hey, everyone! I haven't been on in quite a while. I was unable to keep the previous BP so didn't have much of a reason to use the site, however, I'm back and I've just brought home somebody! I am unsure of the age or gender, I really just fell in love with him and couldn't say no. I love snakes, I have just been more focused on my parrots (I'm a crazy bird lady at heart). So here he is.

He just arrived home maybe a few hours ago and I've just set up his tank. It's simple. I already had a 20 gallon long at home, so when I purchased him today, I just got the necessities. (Aspen bedding, a hide, water bowl, heat mat.) I need to get a thermostat soon. Does anyone know of a good one that's cheap-er? And are there any other supplies you would say were necessary and I should get? I'm not an expert on snakes, really. The only reptiles I feel I'm pretty knowledgeable on are bearded dragons. Please no harsh comments if I've done anything wrong, I'm willing to learn and do what I need to so any and all advice is welcomed!

I'm excited to have him here and can't wait for his first feeding. They said they had been feeding him live on Sundays, so I'll be doing that.

Also, I didn't quite notice this until I got home (I should've looked at him more carefully) but he has a few tiny pieces of skin in various spots. Nothing major, it's really hard to notice it. I had asked the guy at the store if he had recently shed, and he said he thought they might have just done so, but honestly the guy had no clue about snakes and he even admitted that to me. I was talking to a friend of my on FB and she suggested I take a pillow case, dampen it, and wrap him up in it for about thirty minutes to help with humidity, as she says he must not have shed fully or correctly. Would this help? Any other advice regarding this? Thanks in advance!

One last thing.... Any name ideas? Looking forward to some responses soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    So you had a bp before and got rid of it and even though you already knew of this site and have been a member you still failed to have the proper equipment before getting a new snake? I don't get it. Please tell me your using a heat lamp and the uth is not plugged in yet.

I would leave the skin alone and allow your new snake to ease into its new home.

As for a cheap tstat, I think the low end Herpstats are where its out. $100-130 range and if you check around you can find them used at good prices. http://spyderrobotics.com/home/products.html

You are going to be told of other cheap options like the hydrofarm commonly bought on Amazon. I bought one seeing some many people talk about them and it failed in three months. It failed ON and since then I will no longer recommend them.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Re: I'm back with a new BP and a few ?'s

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    You are going to be told of other cheap options like the hydrofarm commonly bought on Amazon. I bought one seeing some many people talk about them and it failed in three months. It failed ON and since then I will no longer recommend them.
    QFT.

Reptile Basics has just started carrying the Vivarium Electronics HobbyStat, which is $50 and would handle a tank or small rack easily.

There's a Zilla 500W t-stat on Amazon.com for $45 that would be fine for this setup.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

KMG (09-19-2014)

Thanks

So far i am a fan of the zilla temp controller mentioned above ive had one for the last seven months and have had no problems with it

Sent from my LGLS620 using Tapatalk
    1.0 spinner blast "Igneel"
    0.1 normal"spitfire"
    1.1 mojave "grandeneey.smaug"
    0.1 yellow belly "saphira"
    0.1 lavender corn"princess"
    0.3 rats "elsa, tardis,lucy"

Thanks
    I assumed I knew the basics, no need to be rude. I guess I got them wrong. But that's why I'm here, to learn. And is it just a personal opinion with using the heat lamp? I was just told I could use either, assuming I do have a thermostat...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    I assumed I knew the basics, no need to be rude. I guess I got them wrong. But that's why I'm here, to learn. And is it just a personal opinion with using the heat lamp? I was just told I could use either, assuming I do have a thermostat...
    Not trying to be rude. I just don't understand why you had such a great resource like this forum and decided to do the research after getting another snake.

As for the heat lamp. Depending on your room temp you most likely need a heat source if you have AC. You should not be using the uth without a tstat so I was thinking you might need a lamp.

The uth without a tstat will harm your snake and if you don't believe search the forum and check out the nasty burns owners gave their snakes by not using a tstat.
    KMG

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Abigail (09-19-2014)

Thanks
    I'm new to all of this too Abigail, hang in there plenty of helpful folks here. From what I have learned an under tank heater (UTH) does not raise ambient temperatures in your enclosure, so unless the room temperature is optimal you will need another heat source. Either a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) which does not provide light, or a bulb that provides heat AND light. My thermostat is on order, so I bought a cheap dimmer at home depot for around $10 and monitor the temperatures and adjust accordingly. The UTH should not be used until you have it on a stat as they get extremely hot. Hope that helps, hang in there you will have the proper set up in no time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wildwa For This Useful Post:

Abigail (09-19-2014)

Thanks
    Maybe it was slightly impulse... I usually do not impulse-buy pets of any kind. I have owned various animals and I am known to do plenty of research and reading up on them. I read about animals in my spare time, even ones I do not own or do not plan to own. So this was a rare occasion and I'm a little embarrassed but I usually go above and beyond in caring for my pets.

I am already aware of the possibility of a snake being burned, that is why I will order a thermostat ASAP.

Thanks
    This is the VE option bcr229 mentioned. I vote it over the Zilla if you don't want to spend to much. But Herpstat is still my first choice as they have some great features.

http://www.reptilebasics.com/ve-hobbystat
    KMG

13. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Abigail (09-19-2014)