Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,389

2 members and 3,387 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Anyone have experience with chinchillas?

Ive been tossing around the idea of getting one or even a pair for some time now. I see them occasionally on craigslist. I already have a huge double ferret nation cage. But my biggest worry is the hay they need to eat, Im severely allergic to Timothy so would need to feed some alternative hay.
    How friendly are they as compared to say a pet rat? How active? Do they smell like rats do? Im pretty sensitive to smells. Are they pretty low maintance once everything is set up?

Thanks, pics would be awesome

Thanks
    Hi. My sister owns a chinchilla (I take care of it lol). They need the hay to make them thirsty to drink water. Taking away the hay can be very risky. I don't really know any alternatives.They are very friendly once they get to trust you. I've been bit a few times when we first got her but she has calmed down a lot. I can pet here and hold her with ease. They don't have much of a smell if you keep them clean. No. They are pretty high maintenance. Like you said they require a big cage that should be cleaned at least once every two weeks. They also need to be socialized almost everyday otherwise they can get extremely lonely. If you are up to it I'd say they make a great pet for someone that doesn't have a busy schedule (My sister is 11 so she does all the cleaning )

If you have anymore questions I will gladly answer.
    Reptiles
    5.0 Normal Ball Python (Ares, Poseidon, Hermes, Zeus,Spots)
    1.0 Striped Blood Corn Snake (Apollo)
    1.0 Lemon Blast BP (Hades)
    0.1 Bumble Bee (Athena)
    0.1 Pastel (Hera)
    1.0 Hypo Leopard Gecko (Jupiter)

Dogs
    1.0 Chihuahua (Peanut)
    0.1 Morkie (Bella)
    0.1 Pitbull (Roxy)

Rodents
    2.0 Chinese Dwarf Hamsters (Bubbles and Nitro)\
    0.1 Normal Chinchilla (Chloe)

Thanks
    Does she come to you because she wants to be with you? I just dont want to spend so much on a chinchilla if they are like hamsters(no offense to hamster, just not the friendliest little beasties).

Thanks

Re: Anyone have experience with chinchillas?

I used to rescue chins. As stated above Timothy is a must. There is no sub that I know of. Now handling at first is a little touch and go. It is an animal that you need to build a trust bond with. Once that bond is made they will wait at the cage door waiting for attention and to come out and play.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda2 View Post
    Does she come to you because she wants to be with you? I just dont want to spend so much on a chinchilla if they are like hamsters(no offense to hamster, just not the friendliest little beasties).
    Ya they will love you once they trust you. Mine comes to the door and bites on the cage until I give her a treat and play with her.
    Reptiles
    5.0 Normal Ball Python (Ares, Poseidon, Hermes, Zeus,Spots)
    1.0 Striped Blood Corn Snake (Apollo)
    1.0 Lemon Blast BP (Hades)
    0.1 Bumble Bee (Athena)
    0.1 Pastel (Hera)
    1.0 Hypo Leopard Gecko (Jupiter)

Dogs
    1.0 Chihuahua (Peanut)
    0.1 Morkie (Bella)
    0.1 Pitbull (Roxy)

Rodents
    2.0 Chinese Dwarf Hamsters (Bubbles and Nitro)\
    0.1 Normal Chinchilla (Chloe)

Thanks
    hmmm.Sounds alot like a rabbit to me. I was looking around and Brome hay seems a good alternative and we have that everywhere here. Along with timothy pellets so they get roughage and everything.
    IDK maybe I should just get a kitten(LOL).
    I really wish I know someone that had one so I could see one first hand and see how they interact. I have watched a few youtubes but those cute faces suck me in.They look like a cross between Pikachu and Totoro.

Thanks
    Keep in mind that if you are allergic to timothy, you will probably also be allergic to similar hays or will become allergic with exposure. I had guinea pigs and had to give them up due to hay allergies.. When tested, I tested positive to allergies for 5 kinds of hay / grass all similar to timothy (and including timothy).

I would just avoid critters that need hay. It does take away options, but better than having to adopt out your chin after buying it, etc.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

i have heard they don't really produce smell.
    I have a question i wanted to add to this post, I was told that chinchillas are very emotional and too much handling can cause stress and even hair-loss. I was wondering how true this it, and if after they are socialized and bonded to a human companion will they be able to play and be handled for longer? How long and hard is the bonding process with a new chinchilla, and if they are socialized will they be okay to be pet by other people?