Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,296

2 members and 3,294 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

One mouse more pregnant than other. What to do?

I decided to breed my My own mice once buying feeders from the local chain pet stores became too expensive. I did all the research and I purchased two female mice, and kept them together for about four months before introducing the male to them. Before I introduced the make I would try to catch them in heat to see if they were on the same cycle, but I couldn't really tell if they were or not. After keeping them together for four months I decided to introduce the male, and I kept them together for 16 days. On the 16th the day I separated them, and I noticed one mouse was considerably larger than the other. She was further along in the pregnancy then the other female mouse. When I did all the research about breeding mice I read that if one mouse has her babies earlier than the other then the second mouse might kill her babies when she has them because they are considerably smaller, and it will lead her to believe that they are sick or unfit to survive. So what should I do? Should I separate the two females into separate tanks? Although that might put the stress on them, being a single mother, and cause them to kill their babies. Should I just keep them together and hope that everything will be okay?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have 2 females per tubs when it comes to mice and they do just fine even if there is a difference in the age of the babies, mice seem to fight less over babies then rats do.

I have been breeding mice since 2007 and never had issues leaving females together for birthing and nursing.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    It's chance really. Some females do fine with having their litters together, and others do not. But also, separating them after they become heavily pregnant can cause stress also. So you gotta kind of feel your way through it.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    I run 2 females per cage, male in nonstop and/or male removed and not had any major issues with them eating litters or anything. At worst if the first litter is large and the second small and a week or so apart sometimes they will grow slower, not being able to compete as well for the food I imagine.