Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,995

1 members and 2,994 guests
Ruby,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Researching leopard gecko care. HELP

So I'm considering getting a leopard gecko, so obviously I'm researching the proper leopard gecko care. But it seems like EVERY website says something different! I've read that you need a heat lamp to regulate the hours of lighting to mimic the hours they would get in the wild. I've also read that they can do well with just an under tank heater, and I've heard they need both. So... Which one is right?

also, the leopard gecko I'd be getting would be a 2-4 month old giant. So it wouldn't be a tiny hatchling or anything. So would it be ok to house it in a 20L if i put lots of hides and plants and such?

thanks!

Thanks
    They're easy to take care of unless they get sick then you have your work cut out. I had one live well over 20 years with me in a 20 gallon tank with papertowl substrate, 1 hide, heat rock and a light. Back then the UTH wasn't as popular as it is now hence the heat rock. I still think they're great for Leopard geckos so maybe just consider a light and a heat rock. I suggest a light just for looks mostly, it doesn't have to be a basking light.
    Last edited by alan12013; 09-13-2014 at 05:39 PM.

Thanks

Re: Researching leopard gecko care. HELP

Hi! First, I want to say that I use an UTH only. I have everything regulated so my gecko's heat is just right. However, you can also use a ceramic heater. When I got my girl, the breeder told me not to use a light...however, that might be because she's albino and sensitive to light? I can't be 100% sure. I would say your best bet is an UTH and/or ceramic heater, of course with a thermostat to regulate temperatures properly.

I have my young leopard gecko in a 10 gallon right now, and I'm definitely planning to upgrade her to a 20 gallon once I think she'll be comfortable and happy in it. Hides and plants are great for leopard geckos!! They do spend a lot of the daytime sleeping/hiding. And paper towel is a great, easy substrate. Good luck with your guy/girl!
    ♂ - butter spinner, phantom, lemon blast
    ♀ - bumble bee, mojave, normal

Thanks
    I'd have to agree with MissyG UTH is definitely best! I don't trust heat rocks as they are more likely to cause burns. Lights on the tank aren't necessary, leopard geckos are a nocturnal species anyways & the concentrated light can harm some geckos' eyes over time. You can use a low wattage bulb to one side of the tank if you have good dark hides in there and want light, probably not going to do much harm but it would be more for you than the gecko!
    -Deb ~ Spiral Out. Keep going ~

1.0 Matrix Blood python ('Neo')
    1.0 Granite Stripe het. Ultra Borneo STP
    0.1 Colombian BCI ('Attila')
    0.1 Squaretail Col. BCI ('Navi')
    BP's:
    1.0 Pied('Gonzo').......................1.0 Pewter('Osiris')
    1.0 Pinstripe('Ra')......................1.0 Bumblebee
    1.0 Yellow Belly('Jinx')..............0.1 Pastel Yellow Belly('Isis')
    0.1 Mojave('Luna').....................0.1 Spider('Salem')
    0.1 Caramel Albino ('Karma')....0.1 Pastel het. OG ('Juno')
    0.1 Het. OG ('Satan')..................0.1 Poss. Het. Pied ('Cleo')
    1.0 Bearded Dragon ('Oz')
    5.5 Leopard Geckos
    1.1 Crested Geckos (Ninja/Sid)