Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,161

2 members and 3,159 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Next clutch, had an albino crawl out on day 48 but had yolk still, it fell off this morning and it seems to be doing fine. Another one came out today, day 50. Two others are still just sticking their head out.

So this guy was first one that was less than ideal with my most current set up, but I guess they all can't be perfect.

Thanks

Re: So I think I have an idiot proof incubator...

Update for the rest of my clutches, the albinos came out of the egg finally, all healthy now. spider x spider clutch had 4 eggs, an egg went bad during the process but the other 3 went full term, 2 spider 1 normal, i believe they were day 49-50. Had a dinker project female lay 2 eggs and 4 slugs, the 2 eggs went bad in the first 3 days, with veins, so I don't think that was the incubators fault. last clutch was a lemonblast het hypo x pin. 8 eggs, 3 pin, 5 lemonblast, day 49-51 hatch, no issues.

So unless i get any more surprises that seems to be all i get this year. I have been more than pleased with this incubator tho.

Thanks

So is the egg from the spider x spider clutch the only egg that has gone bad? Maybe that was your 25% super spider.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to devemile For This Useful Post:

OhhWatALoser (07-20-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by devemile View Post
    So is the egg from the spider x spider clutch the only egg that has gone bad? Maybe that was your 25% super spider.

Shhh... You'll make people mad suggesting that.

Thanks

Lol. I was looking at it more for the success rate of your incubator. I retract my last statement...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by devemile View Post
    Lol. I was looking at it more for the success rate of your incubator. I retract my last statement...

Lol, well I'll put it this way, I'm completely happy with the success rate of it so far and plan on upsizing it with my 6 ft freezer. I bought heaters fans and all that to build it for the freezer but im still in the middle of a move, also I had a pretty bad year as far as number of eggs and never saw a reason to get it together for this year. Maybe next year.

Thanks

Cool. I've already started a wine cooler build so i will probably stick with it, but I may try to incorporate the fresh air concept.

Thanks
    So in my last two years of reading this forum I missed this post. As I said in my intro I read almost everyday but only what shows up to those not logged in so it must have slipped by. My kids just asked me "did that guy ever tell how he hatched snakes fast?", then I found this post. I'm surprised you got so few responses. As I also said I'm a koi guy so fish stuff is second nature to me.

I think you've got some great ideas here for an incubator. Have you seen the needlepoint plastic mesh people put in their egg boxes over the eggcrate (I'll have some pictures up soon)? It has ~3/16" inch holes so snakes don't crawl through the eggcrate. I realize for this discussion to really continue/take-off you need to use it for another season and report your success/failure or someone else has to build the incubator and report their findings.

The thing I really like about it is the humidity control and the fresh air being pumped in. I have a C Serpents incubator, so I do the Press & Seal route to keep humidity up. This year I have an egg that smells bad but candles good and I think getting fresh air to it could make the difference. The problem is piping air tubes to each egg box would be difficult. Your design is sort of an all-or-nothing approach.

Last year (maybe the year before) I saw one of the big breeders take out all the substrate out of his egg boxes and put a swamp cooler in his walk in incubator. The swamp cooler provides all the humidity and heat was provided separately, I wonder how his eggs did? That, to me, is a variant of your design. He probably didn't pump in fresh air.

Have you thought of using a 6 quart box to keep the eggs separate, but making the walls and lid swiss-cheese with holes so air will flow through it?

Thanks
    Some smaller mesh wouldn't be a bad idea, I haven't had problems but preventing them before wouldn't hurt. I have no intention of using boxes just gives places for water to sit against the eggs, I just separate them in groups on the light diffuser. When I do my freezer incubator I plan on having multiple levels of light diffuser so there should be plenty of room for eggs.

Thanks

It would be easy enough to make some sort of divider than it would be to use tubs that got hit with bird shot.. In response to samO

Great Incubator Bro!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tsanford; 07-27-2015 at 03:50 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast