Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 778

4 members and 774 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

boa with RI, help!!!!!

A boa rescue i recently acquired has developed RI and i cant get him to the vet till the 15th. his mouth is always a little open with allot of mucus but since we raised the temps he stopped squeaking. Is there anyway i can treat him at home? i read online that you can use Vicks Vapour Rub and some Essential Eucalyptus Oil in a jug of steaming water to help with RI.

Here is the link http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...nfections.html

i was also wondering if you could use albuterol on the snake to help it breath before i can get the antibiotics. I will post pics of his mouth soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Please do NOT use Vicks, eucalyptus oil, albuterol or anything like that on your snake unless your vet directs you to do so. Home therapy until you get to the vet is simple:

Place the snake in a quarantine tub with heat set at 90-92. Make sure you're using a heat mat that covers the ENTIRE bottom of the tub (its ok to use a smaller tub for now). Aside from the water bowl, don't put in any hides or "furniture" - you want the snake to have to stay on the heat and not be able to get off of it (use a t-stat!!). Use paper towels for substrate and keep the tub VERY clean. Keep humidity up around 80-90% all the time.

High heat, high humidity, cleanliness. I have knocked out RIs simply by doing this method. But your snake most likely will need a vet so do take him in on the 15th either way. He may need a specialize antibiotic.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

AmandaJ (09-14-2014),Gio (09-11-2014),Missy_Misfit (09-25-2014),Monty44 (05-30-2017),Shann (09-07-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: boa with RI, help!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
    Please do NOT use Vicks, eucalyptus oil, albuterol or anything like that on your snake unless your vet directs you to do so. Home therapy until you get to the vet is simple:

Place the snake in a quarantine tub with heat set at 90-92. Make sure you're using a heat mat that covers the ENTIRE bottom of the tub (its ok to use a smaller tub for now). Aside from the water bowl, don't put in any hides or "furniture" - you want the snake to have to stay on the heat and not be able to get off of it (use a t-stat!!). Use paper towels for substrate and keep the tub VERY clean. Keep humidity up around 80-90% all the time.

High heat, high humidity, cleanliness. I have knocked out RIs simply by doing this method. But your snake most likely will need a vet so do take him in on the 15th either way. He may need a specialize antibiotic.
    Great advice Kali!

Somehow I knew you'd be the one to answer this.

Hopefully the rest of us won't have to deal with issues like this, but I'll follow your advice if the need arrises.

O/P,,, Good luck and keep us posted!