Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,117

0 members and 3,117 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Hardly eating, now trying to escape? What are you trying to tell me, snake?!

I would try live. Most of my snakes are active at night, I think that's normal, but if she isn't eating....live would be the next step
    1.0 POG…. Surak 1.0 Calico……Caius 1.0 Cinnamon….Jerath 1.0 Enchi…..Xavier
    1.0 Leopard 100% het pied……Aslan 1.0 Black pastel 100% het pied…..Teal’C 1.0 Pied….Apollo
    1.0 Albino….Draco 1.0 Yellowbelly 100% Albino……Aragorn 1.0 Mystic......Morpheus 1.0 Hidden gene woma specter.....Mulder 1.0 Fire.....Theseus 1.0 Champagne pinstripe.....Hades 1.0 Banana bumblebee.......Zeus 1.0 Lesser.....Anders 1.0 Desert.......Jaba

0.1 Normal 100% het hypo….Sarabi 0.1 Lesser…..Kara 0.1 Pinstripe…..Tehla 0.1 Spider….Charlotte
    0.1 Yellowbelly 100% het albino…..Arwen 0.1 Enchi…….Jean 0.1 Black pastel 100% het pied…..Ishta
    0.1 GHI……Sena 0.1 pastel........Athena 0.1 normal......Willow 0.1 Ghost.....Persephone 0.1 Lemonblast 100% hypo.....Luna 0.1 Orange dream yellowbelly....Scully 0.1 100% het pied......Daphne 0.1 Mojave.......Trinity 0.1 100% het albino......Astoria 0.1 Black pastel.....Boomer

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Hardly eating, now trying to escape? What are you trying to tell me, snake?!

Live live live. Do not force feed. One of my females dose the same thing she will eat frozen for a few month's the she will not look interested at all. I throw a live rat and boom nails it. You haven't tryed everything you can do if you havent tryed live. And correct me if im wrong but I wouldent get to worried about her 200g weight drop thats a little more than the average med rat....... and i wouldn't worry to much until she hit close to that 1000g mark

Thanks

Cool Back on feed, no more constant escape attempts

So, she's finally eating again! I'll sum up the events in case anyone else is going through this kinda thing in the future...

In december, she stopped her constant nosing at the door, but still wasn't eating and continued to show zero interest in food what so ever. Live. Frozen. Nothing. Vet insisted we force feed, and since she'd lost about 18% of her body weight at that point, I went with the vet's suggestion. She was force fed 2 pinkies. Vet said to wait one week and instead of giving her a medium rat like usual, the vet said to try a large mouse. Something smaller and different, she said, often spikes their interest again. So, one week later I tried it... and she didn't eat, but she was actually slightly interested in the meal for once. I waited another week. Offered a mouse. Nope again, but still a little interested. After that second "nope", I left her alone for two weeks.

After those two weeks, I try again with the large mouse... and she's interested again! Really interested!... but not striking. She looks, and edges up reeeeeal close, but does nothing. I dangled that mouse there for about ten minutes, and she didn't do anything but stare. I'm pretty fed up at this point so I leave the mouse in the cage with her for the night and go to bed. I'll throw it out in the morning.

When I wake up the mouse is gone. She ate it! I checked the whole cage. She definitely ate it!

Next feeding time, i try the overnight-sleep-over-dinner trick again. It worked!... Third feeding day and, well, actually, before the third feeding day i come home from work and she's giving me The Look. Head raised, neck tense in a striking pose, and she follows every movement. I thaw a mouse and offer it to her and she takes it in a second. She's acting extremely keen afterwards, so I give her a small rat and she takes that as well! WOO HOO, BACK IN BUSINESS!

Since then she's gone back to only eating her meals secretly over night. I'm only offering food to her now when she looks hungry, which seems to be roughly every two weeks. She's back on medium rats, but she seems to prefer smaller prey so once these are gone i'll get some smalls for her.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to saevam For This Useful Post:

se7en (02-03-2015)

Thanks

Hi there, my BP Jeffrey has been doing this exact thing but not just at night, daytime too!

It worries me because he's never missed a meal at 1.5 years old, and has always used his hides.

Did you ever solve this and find out exactly what it was? I also have textbook husbandry and his body is in perfect shape.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123