Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,260

1 members and 1,259 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: asf vs mice.

Thanks

asf vs mice.

me and my husband are looking into breeding either mice or asf. im reading tons online and wondering what everyone opinions on here are. I cant have any other live rats as its illegal here in alberta and not taken lightly here. im pretty sure we have the housing down pat but now its just what to put in them. opinions and reasons why please.

Thanks
    They're exactly the same as mice, just a little less cuddly.
    If you get them from a good source, they are perfectly handle-able and breed well, just don't necessarily expect to hold any of them. There are quite a few breeders now that peddle 'tame' ASFs, but there's still a finesse that comes with them.

Mine eat the same food (sow and piglet chow) and live on the same bedding, in the same amounts of space. They smell different, but still bad.
    They can have larger litters, and the females are dominant over the males most of the time, so be careful adding new males to the groups. Though Males will sometimes fight other males, it is possible to keep more than one male in a group. With mice, you basically CANNOT keep more than one male in a group.

Hope that helps.
    I like em!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rhasputin For This Useful Post:

Mrs.GMC (08-15-2014),TerrieL (08-28-2014)

Thanks

Re: asf vs mice.

thank you. it helps a ton. we have decided to go with the asf for our own collection and in a couple years when we breed will probably put the ones we want to sell on mice for the sake of the new owners. unless asf become more available to the general public. thank you again for the response

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    When I had ASF and mice, I preferred the ASF. They smelled "less bad" than mice. I think they grow a bit faster too, but I wasn't exactly weighing them and such, just my personal opinion.

Mice are cuter and can be nicer pets. They come in way more pretty colors too.

But if I were going to breed for food, I'd go with asf. I did not experience any issues with ball pythons eating asf and then refusing to eat rats or mice afterwards. They seemed content to eat whichever rodent showed up.

Personally, I raise rats and prefer those over either asf or mice vastly. But since you can't have live rats, yeah, asf probably.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Asf grow much slower then mice in my experience. but I have never had them eat their young like I had mice do off and on for pretty much no reason. they also like to use one corner as the bathroom corner. so there isn't a layer of pee on every inch of the cage and everything in it like with mice. they do still smell but not nearly as bad as mice. I ditched mice for asf a while ago and I very much prefer them to the mice.

Thanks

That's weird that you can have asf's but not rats. I'm in Kentucky, and asf's are illegal here. There are many states here that have made asf's illegal due to being an "invasive species". I think it's mostly because asf's have more nipples so they think they reproduce faster.

Thanks
    I also agree that ASFs grow way slower than mice. my ASF males can grow up to 120 grams, and it can take them 6-8 months to get there. Where-as a mouse can get to full size in about 3-4 months maximum.

Thanks

ASF's also get slightly large too I believe.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Correct! Females are about 2x the size of a large/jumbo mouse, and males are about 3 times as large. I can take some comparison photos if that helps anyone. I have several colonies of mixed ASF and house mice.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.GMC View Post
    asf vs mice.
    Asf would kick the mouse's butt!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast