Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,027

1 members and 3,026 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball Python rescue and vet screwd me over

Hello everyone, I am new to being a ball python owner, I did about a year of research and saving before purchasing my little guy off off kijiji from a family that did not want him he came to me with RI and scaring galor which have cleared up but as well as that he had a bad shed and even though i soaked him the tail bits must have not come of properly and the result was bleeding,then scaring then scabbing i think ( trying to post photos not sure how), the vet gave me flamazine which actually made it worse and is not making individual scales slough off, ( the vet in general was rude, manhandled my snake when it wasn't necicairy and spent less then 15 minutes looking at him before prescribing flamazine ) after research i found out that one of the elements in flamazine ( Silver Sulfadiazine ) causes slower healing periods, not to mention the sloughing of scales. anyway now i have this what i think is a scab, a very active python (eating and putting on weight ) and a months worth of flamazine treatment that has caused the injury to expand. any ideas?

( please pardon any spelling errors I have very major dyslexia )
    also if anyone knows how to post photos please tell me i would love to show whats going on to get better answers ! thank you for everyones time !

temp 25 celcius in cold spot 31- 35 during the day hot spot 25-26 hot spot at night
    paper towl bedding, spot cleaned and chaned after every poop as well as full change and wash after shed ( 1:1 vinigar watter) climb tree, 2 hides, watter changed every day, eating well medium rats.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Ball Python rescue and vet screwd me over

We really do need pictures for this one.

Retained shed can cause necrosis if it gets too tight all round the tail.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

KMG (08-02-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    You knew of the health issues but paid for the ball? The family should have given you the snake. I'm sure the vet bills are already much more than a healthy ball would have been from a nice dealer. I love animals but you can not save them all. Its great your willing to help the snake but I would have never paid anything for it.

As for your complaint about manhandling. When trying to give a snake an examine you have to take control of something that is usually in no way willing to do what you want or need done so it can appear rough but its usually quite necessary. Ever tried giving a green tree python an injection? Not easy! You have to take control.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Odd. Silver sulfadiazine is miracle goo for my reptiles. Used it on my blind ratsnake that had massive wounds from rat bites all over, snakes with nose rubs, and my corn who ripped his skin escaping out his tank. All the wounds healed really quick and there were no scales sloughed off.

Also, palpating can look like manhandling when you are attempting to identify organs in an animal as muscular and mobile as a snake.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    My first thoughts on the area getting worse are how are you keeping this animal?
    What are you using for bedding and heat?

Thanks

KMG nope the owners lied they said the python was in perfect health... but when he got to me...
    Last edited by norbert; 08-02-2014 at 10:48 PM.

Thanks

dr del i took soe however cant figure out how to post, i would love instructions i am new to the forum

Thanks

Spiritserpents

you would think so right ? however the stuff has caused the thing to get a bit better at first and then alot worse, including bleeding around the infected area etc wich scared me half to death the first time i saw it because its just below his vent
    Last edited by norbert; 08-02-2014 at 10:49 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    My first thoughts on the area getting worse are how are you keeping this animal?
    What are you using for bedding and heat?
    he is kept on dry paper towl, that is spot cleaned and spot changed as soon as there is poop or urate, and ofcourse a change and wash of cage at least once a month, usaly more because it a) can get stinky after he poops, b)he sheds alot like once or twice a month at least and i change after evry shed. the heat is 30 -35 in the hot spot ( celcius ) in the day and at night its lowerd to 24-25 (celcius) wich is also the temp of his day time cool spot, his hide is always cleaned during the tank wash and he is kept in an all living things 40gal tank also the watter dish is changed every day.

Thanks

Let me elaborate

by manhandled i mean she did not palpitate ( my mother is a student midwife she taught me how to palpitate humans and feel for organs so i asume the method of gentle feeling for along the body is the same ) she grabed him behind the head ( he wasent even squirming to start with ) draged him up voilently turnd him over looked at this belly, dident feel anything just looked, then took a look at his tale wich at the time was only the tip now it got bigger and there are lesions leading up to the vent. and said its not scale rot no one knows if it will gt better put some of this on to make sure, i say how long for she goes two weeks, in two weeks or so i call back say its gotten worse she goes oh just use up the entire thing or till the lesions go away. and i belived it and followed throuhg vets instructions twice a day flamazine for a month or so and ya results. NATA in fact worse ! the only thing she did right is the way she gently opend his mouth i should add, and as well i spoke to some other reptile owners and x owners in my area acording to them this place has a history of badly treating reptiles including animals that should not have died dying in thier care, (impaction and such that could be solved with proper care and treatment from whati gather ) ofcourse im no expert i may be wrong. opinions ?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast