Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,135

3 members and 3,132 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boa Too Big???

Thanks

Boa Too Big???

Hello!

I'm looking to buy my first (Colombian) boa! The one I'm eyeballing is over 8-years of age and about 6'-7', but she is THICK. I mean built like a Blood Python. I can/have handled 7' male boas with ease. However, being as small as I am (5'4") I'm wondering if there will be a good chance that I can unintentionally injure a girl this big? I'm not concerned about her impact on me, rather if (due to my small size) there is no way I can properly support her? She also lives in a different province and I am unable to actually handle her without buying her first.

Thoughts???

Thanks

Re: Boa Too Big???

You should be ok if she is one that you can carry around on your shoulders and support with your arms and hands.

If she is not tame..then even more so if you use a snake hook to move her to and from.

The BronX BoA

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alexiconartist View Post
    You should be ok if she is one that you can carry around on your shoulders and support with your arms and hands.

If she is not tame..then even more so if you use a snake hook to move her to and from.

The BronX BoA

Thank-you for answering! To the best of my knowledge she is docile. If she begins to get a little quick I can put her down on a table or something. I just wanted to know if you think she'd be safe for casual handling (exploring, stretching out, etc)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Is there a reason you want this one inparticular? They are pretty easy to come by so if you are worried it might be too big for ou to handle just find another one.
    Always be Batman

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vangarret2000 View Post
    Is there a reason you want this one inparticular? They are pretty easy to come by so if you are worried it might be too big for ou to handle just find another one.
    Her morph isn't common here (thus why I'm paying to ship her from the opposite side of the country). I'm particular on how my snakes look, unfortunately. I can't find anyone local with a snake built like her, and I really do worry about harming the snake, so I am looking at other possibilities currently.

It would be a real shame, though. I'm hoping for maybe a personal experience? Any other small people with big snakes?

Thanks

Can we see any pics? I have a 4 month old boa and I like to see pictures of what she'll grow up into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by colton62 View Post
    Can we see any pics? I have a 4 month old boa and I like to see pictures of what she'll grow up into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't feel comfortable posting the photo. That said, this boa is the thickest I've seen for barely exceeding 6', and really is not the norm when it comes to Colombians. I'm sure BP.net has a thread relating before/after pics or collection albums in the Red Tail Boa category. You should do your search there.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Abby_Dog View Post
    Her morph isn't common here (thus why I'm paying to ship her from the opposite side of the country). I'm particular on how my snakes look, unfortunately. I can't find anyone local with a snake built like her, and I really do worry about harming the snake, so I am looking at other possibilities currently.

It would be a real shame, though. I'm hoping for maybe a personal experience? Any other small people with big snakes?
    What morph is the Colombian boa?
    Always be Batman

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vangarret2000 View Post
    What morph is the Colombian boa?
    Again, I'm concerned that if you did a little digging (with this kind of information) people would know who I was buying from and roughly where the snake was going. So I'd rather not disclose that.

Can I get some advice, please? From someone with experience...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Abby_Dog View Post
    Again, I'm concerned that if you did a little digging (with this kind of information) people would know who I was buying from and roughly where the snake was going. So I'd rather not disclose that.

Can I get some advice, please? From someone with experience...
    You'll be fine handling her, just support her on your shoulders and both you arms. I have a friend that owns a massive boa and shes only 5'2 and is able to support the boa and handle pretty easily.
    0.1 Normal Ball Python

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast