Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,911

1 members and 2,910 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Snake wont let go of prey Item

I was going to feed My Milk snake Aster yesterday and set a large pinkie down next to her and judge to see if it was too big. Of course she whipped around and grabbed it before I could pull the prey Item out because I was concerned it would be too big. Of course, being the little devil she is she started to eat it while I had a hold of it. so I picked her up hoping she would let go from me moving her. no luck. I tapped her on the nose. no luck. whatever I tried she would not let go. So i set her down and watched. a half hour later she's still trying to eat this thing. I pick her up and try again. Still nothing!! I ended up grabbing scissors and cutting small pieces off while she was eating for her to be able to swallow it. now that she has it down she took a breather. she looks like shes going to explode. should I be concerned?

Thanks
    Snakes really can't let go very easily because their teeth angle back - so once they've got it all they can really do is keep swallowing. Keep an eye on her, bump her temp a little and if it was too much expect a regurg. Either way, don't feed her for at least a week, probably 10 days/2 weeks.
    ---
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    1.1 Black and White Banded Cal-King

2.3 Dogs
    0.4 Cats
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Kids

Thanks
    Uhhh... there's a few things I really want to mention here.

If you are going to be trying to judge prey size, do so with the snake and food away from each other - as in, one (preferably the snake) is in a closed container/enclosure.

You are not going to win a tug of war with a hungry snake who has got a hold on a mouse. Don't even try - that's just dangerous for everyone, especially the snake (doesn't matter what species). You can seriously injure your snake that way, either by causing muscle damage or if it's in its mouth already, you'll be pulling teeth out. That could end very badly.

Never tap a snake on the nose!! That is a very sensitive area, and you do not want to damage that. At the least you could get your snake very upset. Also not a good idea to have scissors around snakes... that, I mean, that should be logical thinking - "common sense", although I don't like that term.

What you should do is turn up the heat on the thermostat for the UTH (assuming you have one); I'd say to about 88-90F for the next 2/3 days or so. Try to up the heat in the vive as well. If you control the heat in the room the snake is in, turn that up as well. I'd aim for close to 80F. If you really think the pinky is too large, and the mouse was more than 1.5x the widest part of the snake's body, you'll need that extra heat to help digest what's in the snake's stomach.
    Last edited by NH93; 07-28-2014 at 04:22 PM.
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Re: Snake wont let go of prey Item

Quote Originally Posted by CptJack View Post
    Snakes really can't let go very easily because their teeth angle back - so once they've got it all they can really do is keep swallowing.
    They can let go just fine given proper incentive. A bit of running water usually does the trick. Some stingy snakes may require a dunk.

Thanks
    If you want a snake to let go of something... all it takes is some listerine. They will release it with no harm to anything. Water only works on some snakes. My Redtail lives in the water and has no issues with it but listerine works...

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    Listerine and white vinegar both work. I soak a cotton ball with it and wave it in front of the snake's nose.

Some people have also said that vodka will work, but I'm not wasting mine on the snake.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

carbn8 (07-28-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotNess View Post
    If you want a snake to let go of something... all it takes is some listerine. They will release it with no harm to anything. Water only works on some snakes. My Redtail lives in the water and has no issues with it but listerine works...
    So do anacondas but I bet I could get one to let go under the tap.

Thanks

thanks for your replies, I will keep that in mind next time. I in no way meant to hurt her when I tapped her on her nose and the scissors, because I didnt no what else to do, I felt were my last option. I thought the prey would have caused her to be unable to breathe and I only meant to help her out. The lump seems to have gone down now and she is acting fine so I'm going to assume She's okay. going to keep an eye on her for now

Thanks

Ball pyton eating question

I have a banana ball that is a little over a year old. I gave him a large mouse. He grabbed it right away, but was having trouble getting around to the head. He let go of it from the mouth, but won't let go from around his body. I tried to get it back from him to try again, but he wasn't having it. It is in a position where he can't strike it again. How can I get it away from him without hurting him in any way? I don't want to pull on it or anything.

Thanks

Re: Ball pyton eating question

Quote Originally Posted by Smaugsmom View Post
    I have a banana ball that is a little over a year old. I gave him a large mouse. He grabbed it right away, but was having trouble getting around to the head. He let go of it from the mouth, but won't let go from around his body. I tried to get it back from him to try again, but he wasn't having it. It is in a position where he can't strike it again. How can I get it away from him without hurting him in any way? I don't want to pull on it or anything.
    Have you not read this thread before you posted? There isnt much you can do. Short of vinegar,listerine tht was mentioned.

What do you mean he "was having trouble getting around to the head"? Do you mean it looked like he was having trouble finding the head or getting his mouth around its head?

If it was appearing to have issues finding the head..leave it alone..itll figure it out. My ball has eaten rodents rear first. And if you meant the latter....leave him alone. He will manage.

Not sure I understand your motivation for taking the mouse away.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeanne For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (09-19-2017)