Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,478

1 members and 2,477 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    As promised, here is a series of photos on my new gecko enclosure. The original one made with hardware cloth and pvc pipes and joins worked well, but I wanted to give them a little better humidity retention, privacy, and live plants, as well as to make cleaning easier for me.

First, I started with a Black & Decker SpaceRite series wall cabinet ($25 at Lowe's). These come in three sizes, wall (23.6" x 14.1" x 23.6"), base (about 36" tall, otherwise same), and full (about 5' tall, otherwise same).

These are durable plastic cabinets with tool-free assembly, and the wall size comes with hardware to wall-mount it, which might be handy in the future. The doors have a hollow square-shaped frame and single-thickness plastic panel in the middle. I used a soldering iron to "cut" out the panel in the middle (use a table saw or jigsaw if you have one), then burn a trench in the middle all the way around where the panel had been. If you use a soldering iron to melt plastic, be sure that you use it in an area with plenty of ventilation, or better yet, outdoors. The fumes are noxious.

I then used two layers of 1/2" plastic garden fencing ($10 at Lowe's) cut at an offset (use 1/4" if you can find it, or plastic craft mesh or hardware cloth if you like) to replace the door panels. This allows for viewing, misting, and air circulation. The 1/2" would have been fine alone with this size geckos, but I wanted to prevent cricket escapes as well, so I made effective 1/4" holes by cutting at an offset, 1" larger than the panels for 1/2" inset on each side. I used hot glue to ensure the mesh would stay put, even if tugged by cat claws.

I wanted to be able to view the geckos both day and night and to use both live plants and fake, so I melted small holes in the frame of the cabinet sides' top edges and screwed in cup hooks for the vines, then mounted two 18" fluorescent fixtures ($12 ea. at Lowe's) to one side of the cabinet using double-sided tape sold as strong enough to mount door mirrors. I also melted holes in the top of the wall and the bottom of the roof to allow the lights' power cords to pass through. The front fixture holds a black light and the back fixture holds a UV light. They are mounted vertically so as to give nearly equal light distribution through the height of the cage and both on the same side because I was concerned about misting them.

Because of Waldo's recent demise that appeared to result from being, er, liberated by a cat, I wanted some security to the cage even though I knew the geckos couldn't open it themselves, so I added two hook latches to the front doors. Slide bolts would have been more secure, but I'm protecting against cats, not toddlers. You may notice a bit of a gap between the doors and top. It's not enough for the geckos to escape, but I plan to add small shims anyway.

Here's the full-sized cage, with everything but the since-added lay box and the to-be-added in the next day or so pothos.

And finally, user reviews from Sandiego:

And Scooby:

3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    Incredible Marla! That looks sweet and relatively easy to construct. Where did you get the idea?
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

Thanks
    Very nice Marla. I bet Sandiego and Scooby are very happy!
    The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is....

....Tattooed people don't care if you're not tattooed.

Thanks

RUBY !

Thanks Carson! The hardest part was getting the mesh in place, but as long as you do it *before* putting the tops and bottoms on the doors, you should be in good shape (smacking forehead). I got the idea because everything I see is evaluated as a potential herp enclosure, and I kept seeing these cabinets in the sale circulars. I forgot, too, that I should publicly give credit to the kids for helping, especially Adrian for her help with the doors.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans

Thanks
    Marla .. you're giving me too many ideas!
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

Thanks

venomous petition

Carl, they seem to be, and Carmen does too but wouldn't pose for a decent photo.

Carson, let's hear 'em! I am always glad to hear new herp enclosure ideas, and might be open to cat enclosure ideas at this point.

Thanks
    woa !! thats freakin AWESOME i never ever thought about that before, if i ever get some geckos i will be sure to get one of those to keep them in !!!
    0.1 Albino Redtail Boa
    0.1 Colombian Redtail Boa
    0.2 Salmon Pastel Redtail Boa's
    0.1 normal Ball Python
    0.1 Ball Python.
    0.1 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Amelanistic Corn Snake
    1.0 Sonoran Gopher
    1.0 Mexican black Kingsnake
    0.1 Luecistic Texas rat snake

Thanks
    Thanks Brandon! I'm glad you like it. It would be a waste of space for ground-dwelling geckos, but I think it's going to do well for my arboreal crested geckos.

Thanks
    W0AH!!!

Killer mod of that cabinet Marla! I think you may have gotten some dangerous wheels turning!

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks
    Thanks, Smulkin! Consider this a challenge to you and Carson and the rest of you to out-do me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast