Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,106

0 members and 3,106 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: ASPEN

Thanks

ok call me stupid.....

I ran it to some trouble with my new RTB and had to make some changes. I changed my heat lamps with a human heating pad and an UTH on the back side of the tank to increase heat and humidity. The breeder thought that the heat lamps would fry her. Also removed the aspen bedding to increase humidity and moved to paper towels. My question is that is aspen and heat lamps too dry for RTB as compared to BP?

Thanks
    What is your humidity at now? Humidity for a RTB should be right around 50%-55%, not that much different than a bp. Do you have part of the screen top covered?
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

Thanks
    The humidity is at about 65% and now I have towels cavering about 80% of the tank. And a small 50 watt light on the warm side along with a human heating pad and a UTH on the back wall. All this to keep the humidity up and the heat just right. Also put the paper towels on the bottom to increase the humidity. The breeder said that the aspen would be more for the BP not the RTB because of what they are used to. Also the temps should be maintained by UTH more than heat lamps. As compaired to BP that can use UTH and heat lamps together to maintain heat. So my question is should I change my BP tank around to be more like the RTB tank. Get rid of the aspen and use paper towles, Get rid of the UTH and use a human heating pad, get rid of the 75 watt and make it a 50 watt, and put the UTH on the back wall? My humidity in the bp tank is around 55% all the time unless I spray, the heat on the cool side is 82 during the day and down as low as 76 at night, the warm side is around 88 95 and cools the same way at night. I took of the 50 watt and put it on the RTB tank. So now I went from a 75 and 50 to just a 75 I also have a UTH on the BP. So I would think that the temps will drop a bit. But I just don't know if it is too hot in there. My therm. all read teh right temps.

Thanks
    I don't see why he would recommend putting the uth on the back wall. The only real purpose for uth's is to provide belly heat. Heat coming from above (like the sun) and below (like a rock warmed by the sun) seem natural, but I don't know about side heat. It might be confusing for the boa.
    My uth heats my boa tank just fine. The temp in the room around the cage never goes below 75 and usually hovers around 80. My basking spot is around 85 at the surface (measured ato the few layers of newspaper I use as a substrate.)
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks
    He is a breeder and that is all that he uses is wall heat. It is just to ge the overall heat up. He did not tell me to do it, he just said that is what he does. Also told me to reduce the heat that is why I got rid of the heat lamps. But what about the questions.