Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,619

2 members and 2,617 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: RIP Romeo

Thanks

RIP Romeo

Today we said goodbye to Romeo, our Papillon. About 2 weeks ago he suddenly started tilting to the side and walking like he was drunk. We took him to the vets and they diagnosed him with Idiopathic Vestibular Disease (basically unknown cause for head tilting, etc. Most dogs recover within 1 to 3 weeks from it). However as the week passed Romeo became increasingly "out of it": shaking while walking, extreme head/body tilting, running into or getting stuck behind furniture, not being able to pass basic reflex tests, and the vet told us it was most likely something wrong in his brain, like a tumor or lesion. We didn't want him to be in pain or worse, suffer a seizure or something while we were not there, and my mom made the decision to let him go.

We only had him for a little over 3 years: he came to my mom as a "hopeless" aggression case. He was abused and then passed around from owner to owner for the first 7 years of his life, and the last person to own him (a vet tech) said there was no hope for him and he should be put down. He came to our family and became a different dog: loyal, happy and while he was not the cuddliest of dogs (he did not like to sit in your lap or be picked up) he would sit next to you and if you stopped petting him he would tap your leg or hand to tell you he wanted to be pet more. He had some episodes of aggression in the beginning but with patience and love from my mom he made a complete 180. We always called him "radar ears" because if something caught his attention his ears (which look pretty big for a dog his size) would spring up. He was crate-trained but one day my mom let him sleep in my room and after that, every morning he would be let out and run up the stairs and beg to go into my room. Romeo was a quirky, handsome, never-boring dog and even though I was only able to spend 2 years with him I will miss him more than I can put into words. (I'm having bouts of crying writing this.) He's in a better place now, free from pain and illness. He truly was one special dog.

--------
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Colombian BCI (Satin)

0.1 Spider BP (Loki), R.I.P... We will never forget you...

Thanks
    I know what it feels to have to put down a dog. I hope you are able to appreciate what you and your family were able to do for him. You gave him a quality life for the last years of his life.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gerardo For This Useful Post:

xFenrir (07-11-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I'm so sorry. He was a cutie. Take comfort in knowing that while he had a rough start, he spent his final years happy and well cared for.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

xFenrir (07-11-2014)

Thanks

Re: RIP Romeo

Agression rehabs are the most amazing dogs, I have one myself and I can't imagine losing her after such a short time. I'm so sorry for your loss.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Archimedes For This Useful Post:

xFenrir (07-11-2014)

BPnet Senior Member AlexisFitzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,512 Posts

Re: RIP Romeo

Oh I'm so sorry for you loss. I also know what it's like having to put a pup to sleep. It's nice to know that their no longer suffering any more. He was such a cute pup. Sending lots of love & comfort

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexisFitzy For This Useful Post:

xFenrir (07-11-2014)

Thanks
    I am so sorry. Losing a dog is losing a member of the family. *hug*