Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,350

3 members and 3,347 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: I need help!!

Thanks

I need help!!

Ok so, I'm going to be getting a snake soon and I wondered what would be the best beginner snake for a 13 year old girl. I don't want a corn or milk snake because they are too small. I am aware of most of the basic needs of a ball python but I don't know if it would be the best snake for me. I need to know all of the equipment I would need for a bp and any other info I should know, and money is not a problem. If you can help me email me at hfalls70@gmail.com, thanks.

Thanks
    If you aren't sure about a ball python being right for you then don't get one!!! Corn, milk, and king snakes all are excellent for beginners. If you need to know what equipment you need, or info about a specific species then PLEASE for the sake of the animal in your charge DO YOUR HOMEWORK before you buy anything!!!!!!!!!!! And even if money is not a problem, don't buy an animal just because you can!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by BiggBaddWolf; 07-07-2014 at 05:26 PM.

Thanks
    There's lots of caresheets around. Including on this forum. Might I suggest you take the time to look over them?

Not being rude, however if you can't put in the time to do even basic research, how can you expect others to do it all for you?

In answer to your first question. Yes a Ball Python is an excellent beginner snake. However suggesting Corn Snakes and Milk Snakes are 'too small' is a little odd.

You suggest you know the basic needs of a ball python, then in the next breath request all of the equipment you will need listed out?

All the best, and goodluck.

Thanks
    Giving out your personal email isn't the brightest idea. With that said, check out all the stickies on this forum and you'll find all the information you're looking for. If you have any other questions, there's a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum. Good luck!
    Last edited by Mr. Misha; 07-07-2014 at 05:28 PM.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks
    Yeah that post by the OP sounds a bit scarey!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Re: I need help!!

Best of luck on the snake.

I only want to mention that it is not wise for a young lady to broadcast your email for the world to see. I would stronly suggest changing your post and request either pm's or use your parents email for any and all communication. I'm a father myself and simply know that no everyone out there is a good person. Please, above all else, be safe.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to h20hunter For This Useful Post:

Mr. Misha (07-07-2014)

Thanks
    I'm seconding the advice re email.

Also, I realize baby colubrids are tiny, but length wise adult bps and corns are about the same. Bp are heavier bodied, but they are by no meas huge. Likewise my corns are not tiny snakes.

And they ALL take several years to grow to size.
    ---
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    1.1 Black and White Banded Cal-King

2.3 Dogs
    0.4 Cats
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Kids

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    Actually when it comes to dealing with babies I very much prefer ball pythons or boas over colubrids. The BP's and boas may nip or hiss when you try to handle them, but they usually chill out quickly. OTOH the colubrids musk and become little coiled springs that jump out of your hand - often before you can react.

IMO a good beginner snake is a juvenile (not baby) King that has been handled enough so it no longer sees you as Godzilla when you pick it up. They still have a lot of growing to do, their food responses are awesome, they're not expensive, their husbandry requirements are easy to meet, and they come in a nice array of patterns.

Thanks
    Somehow I get the feeling the OP is a troll......