Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,357

3 members and 3,354 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

dog on the "no dogs allowed" sign

I've wondered how the design for the generic "no dogs allowed sign" came about, and how certain dog designs were used in different places. It got me wondering if the dog was based on a breed or just a generic image of a dog, like if at the point it was made there was a breed that was very common to own in that place. I did some digging but i haven't been able to find anything on the origin of dogs/no dogs allowed signs. The ones i see most often in DC at museums, the zoo, and important buildings are these two:

http://circlequirk.files.wordpress.c...s-allowed1.jpg

http://muchaboutmelbourne.com/wp-con...gs-Allowed.gif

There are lots of signs personally made for businesses and homes, but I've also seen that there are differences between signs put up by the government that vary from place to place, and that's what made me wonder if they were based on a breed most common in the area at the time the sign was made.

Thanks

Re: dog on the "no dogs allowed" sign

The second image is (probably) based on a Doberman, which had a terrible reputation a number of years ago. They basically had the same reputation that people now attribute to "bully breeds". The first one doesn't look like any one breed in particular to me, although I'm far from an expert. Truthfully I suspect the image of the dog is more based on what the creator thinks the average dog looks like, rather than targeting any specific breed.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

First looks like a Labrador or rottweiler to be. Second looks like a schnauzer, I think. But like the previous reply, I think its really based off the "average" dog and not any particular breed.
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

Thanks
    First one looks like a Mastiff and the second one looks like a Schnauzer lol. I believe it's any dog in general

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SaintTawny View Post
    The second image is (probably) based on a Doberman, which had a terrible reputation a number of years ago. They basically had the same reputation that people now attribute to "bully breeds". The first one doesn't look like any one breed in particular to me, although I'm far from an expert. Truthfully I suspect the image of the dog is more based on what the creator thinks the average dog looks like, rather than targeting any specific breed.
    That's actually a good point, i was thinking about a popular dog everyone would recognize because they were so common. I forget people dislike dogs too so it never occurred to me that the image could be based off the dog with a bad rap that was recognized as a notorious breed. thank you for the replies.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    The first looks like a mastiff type. I also thought schnauzer as well for the second dog. I think both are just generic dog shape signs rather than targeting specific breeds.

We have dobermans and a shepherd. We do actually have breed specific signs on our gate. And we want breed specific signs on purpose.

Our duck and shepherd.