Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,014

0 members and 3,014 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Oops

ok well i have a baby burmese python....my hot side is 90 during the day and cool side around 80...i his hide box i put a thermometer and there is a heat pad in there but carpet covers it and i can easily touch is without it being to hot but the thermometer rerad over 100? is that bad??? outside of the hide box its 90 due to an over hed heat source...also at nite the whole cage is around 78 is that ok?? please give me som tips thank you....

Thanks
    Well, for you to touch something and have it be too hot(like burn you), it'd probably have to be pretty high.. maybe 200. I'm not sure about the heating requirements of a burm, but I'd say 100 in a hide is probably a bit too high. If you can, maybe put the heat pad under the tank itself instead of just under some carpet, so the heat won't be so strong.

Oh, and you posted this in the blood python forum. It'd probably go best in the giant pythons forum section.
    2.0 python regius - Ace(pastel) and Pelota(cross-dresser )

Thanks
    i have a baby burm at about 22". he is in a 30"x12" cage at 6 am lights go on and i have a dome lamp making the hot side around 90 and cool side round 82. at 8 pm lights out and its 80 all over the tanke plus i have a heat pad under the hot sides hide all day i put a thermometer in the hide and it says over 100 whats wrong with that??? should i just not use heat pad at all and use the lamp during the day and nothing at nite??? please help me also am i supposed to make day nite cycles?

Thanks

2 BP's in the same tank?

Well, as we discussed on AIM not too long ago, you're using stick on thermometers, which are known to be inaccurate. So hurry and find a nice digital thermometer(Acurites are good) to measure them temps.
    I'd say if it really worries you, turn off the heat pad until you get a digital thermometer and can accurately measure the temp in the hide. 100 is too high, but you're using stick-ons so you cant trust that reading 100%.

As for the day and night cycles, I dont think burmese pythons need them. But if you do want to keep a day/night cycle, remember to have 12 light, 12 dark. You can continue to use lighting at night by using an infrared bulb which doesnt bother them at night.

Here's a good caresheet to read up on. Good ol' NERD.

http://www.newenglandreptile.com/CareBurm.html
    2.0 python regius - Ace(pastel) and Pelota(cross-dresser )