Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,290

5 members and 3,285 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Varying feed days

So i had a thought: most snakes wouldnt get a meal exactly every 7 or 5 days, it would vary, so wouldnt it make sense to vary feed times? Like wait a different number of days in between? Maybe 7 days and then 5 days. Ive never heard of anyone doing this, what are your opinions? Better to keep a schedule? Or keep em guessing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    7 day feeding schedules are for the convenience of the owner, mostly. Same thing with feeding consistent prey-size. When you have a lot of snakes, or need to keep things on track with minimal refusals and wasted food, and keep records, offering a consistent size of food once a week or so makes the most sense.

I don't do this with my BP, to be honest. I feed them when they start cruising and looking for food. If the meal was small, that might be 4-5 days later. If it was extra big, it might be 2 or 3 weeks. I have TWO and I'm not going to forget what they ate or when, or not notice them because they're in a rack system. I'm also not trying to get them to weight for breeding. I've had fewer refusals this way, and it works for me. It might not work for somebody else.

And I do NOT do this with the king or corn because frankly they will eat every time food is offered and feeding when they 'act like they want food' would have them eating just about every day and so fat they couldn't move.
    ---
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    1.1 Black and White Banded Cal-King

2.3 Dogs
    0.4 Cats
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Kids

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CptJack For This Useful Post:

alan12013 (07-06-2014)

Thanks
    I feed every 7 days. They dont seem to "know" when feeding day is. They all act the same until they can smell the food no matter what day it is.
    Last edited by Gerardo; 07-03-2014 at 06:45 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    My feeding schedules vary wildly. Well, wildly within reason. I keep the smaller/younger snakes on a 5-ish day schedule, and the bigger/older ones on a 7-ish day schedule. If those fall on the same day, I may or may not have time to feel all the snakes, so some of the snakes may be pushed back a day, and it might not even be that I push all the 7 day snakes and fed the 5 days ones, so the next time it is feeding day for the 5 day snakes, it may be only 4 days for some of them (or it may be 6 days for some of them if I decide to delay a day). If I go out of town for the weekend, it's likely one of the groups of snakes was due to be fed, so they'll get pushed back to Monday. On days when the kids have something like a band concert, the entire evening usually has a messed up schedule, and I don't usually try to find time to feed the snakes, so feeding will get pushed back a day. Etc. Etc. Also, I breed my own feeders, so I don't always have exactly the right size available at the right time, so a meal might be small. I don't worry about any of it. I'm sure because of all the occasional pushing feedings back a day, my 5 day snakes get less than 73 feedings a year, and my 7 day snakes get less than 52 feedings a year, so I probably would get marginally faster growth if I kept to a strict schedule, but my snakes are healthy and growing at a healthy rate. So I'm happy with it and it fits my life.

But, do I think this varied schedule is better for them because it closer mimics what they would experience in the wild? No.
    Casey

Thanks

Re: Varying feed days

Quote Originally Posted by kc261 View Post

But, do I think this varied schedule is better for them because it closer mimics what they would experience in the wild? No.
    Oh. Yeah. I should really add that I agree with this one.

I do vary my snakes and sort of feed them whenever they act hungry AND when it fits my schedule, but I don't think it's healthier for the snake. I just don't think it's LESS healthy, either. I think it's mostly down to whatever works for the people doing the feeding and is better for them.
    ---
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP

2.3 Dogs
    0.4 Cats
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Kids

Thanks

So I have a question to add to this. I have a BP that will come out and cruise around his enclosure, he is one of the lucky ones not in a 41qt and he resides in a much larger snake condo. I've seen him do some pretty crazy things like almost standing straight up checking things out seeing if there is a way out I presume. He cruises daily though and his temps and humidity are just the way they should be. Some days he does this more than others but most certainly a couple days after feeding it happens a lot. Could he be looking for food? I just started this weekend keeping a detailed log that tracks date and type of food. He's the only one that moves around. Should I start feeding him after he does this a couple days in a row or do some BP's just like to get out and about, a lot! Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alan12013 View Post
    So I have a question to add to this. I have a BP that will come out and cruise around his enclosure, he is one of the lucky ones not in a 41qt and he resides in a much larger snake condo. I've seen him do some pretty crazy things like almost standing straight up checking things out seeing if there is a way out I presume. He cruises daily though and his temps and humidity are just the way they should be. Some days he does this more than others but most certainly a couple days after feeding it happens a lot. Could he be looking for food? I just started this weekend keeping a detailed log that tracks date and type of food. He's the only one that moves around. Should I start feeding him after he does this a couple days in a row or do some BP's just like to get out and about, a lot! Thanks.

Well i may not be an expert but i'll add my opinion and experiance, maybe it helps.
    When i feed my girl and shes full, she'll hide and not move (even at night when shes usually all over the place) for at least a day and night after. If shes still hungry, she'll immediately be roaming around.
    Maybe try feeding him a bit more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Yeah, if he's cruising right after being fed my instinct is to say he's still hungry and to bump up the amount of food you're offering.
    ---
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP

2.3 Dogs
    0.4 Cats
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Kids

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CptJack View Post
    7 day feeding schedules are for the convenience of the owner.
    Your snakes must be pigs egg 7 days a week! I feed once a week, unless they are hatchlings.

Thanks
    Will do! Sucks to think he's been going hungry this whole time and I just passed it off as him being friendly. Oh well he'll get fed more now.