Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,969

1 members and 2,968 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Small hole in AP floor, urates on flexwatt.

Last night I was moving my flexwatt over a bit and noticed a strong urate smell. Upon closer inspection I found urates on the flexwatt. I removed it and dried it well. I searched for a source but found no obvious holes but I did notice urate in the unused right side temp probe slot so maybe from there? The flexwatt seems fine ave even after going overnight was running correctly so I believe it was unharmed.... Gonna search in Loki's side tonight. Once I find it what are my sealing options? Will hot glue work ok? I know tape is a no no inside the tank. I thought about heat tape outside the tank but will that reflect heat back at the flexwatt?

Thanks

Re: Small hole in AP floor, urates on flexwatt.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertsKitty View Post
    Last night I was moving my flexwatt over a bit and noticed a strong urate smell. Upon closer inspection I found urates on the flexwatt. I removed it and dried it well. I searched for a source but found no obvious holes but I did notice urate in the unused right side temp probe slot so maybe from there? The flexwatt seems fine ave even after going overnight was running correctly so I believe it was unharmed.... Gonna search in Loki's side tonight. Once I find it what are my sealing options? Will hot glue work ok? I know tape is a no no inside the tank. I thought about heat tape outside the tank but will that reflect heat back at the flexwatt?
    Fish tank sealant works well also, just let it air out.

Thanks
    Wouldn't fish tank sealer take days to cure and stop off gassing?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Flexwatt is not made to be in damp conditions but as long it didn't short out and appears to be running fine it should be okay. What kind of container is the snake in? I use plastic tubs and seal small holes with silicone caulk (like aquarium sealant) It can give off a strong odor while curing so it's best to leave it set for 24-48 hours before putting an animal back in. Hot glue should work fine but may be more brittle and could crack and fall out over time whereas the silicone will be more flexible. Also if I ever find I need to use that hole again the silicone peels off pretty cleanly.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks
    I have no other enclosure to house the snakes for any length of time so hot glue will probably have to work for this situation.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've always found it handy to keep a few latch top storage boxes on hand for temporary housing.

http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProdu...=252&section=1
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks

Re: Small hole in AP floor, urates on flexwatt.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertsKitty View Post
    Wouldn't fish tank sealer take days to cure and stop off gassing?
    it should be fine after a few hours. the stuff that causes the silicone to be soft and that gasses out as the silicone solidifies is acetic acid, basically concentrated vinegar, a completely natural chemical that people use for cooking. once the vinegar smell is mostly gone, it should be fine.

silicone (fish tank quality, the stuff for bathrooms contains fungicides and anti-bacterial agents) and hot glue are prime choices.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0