Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,115

1 members and 2,114 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Great looking setups! I have yet to own one pvc cage (my boa is in a lowly tub at the moment), but I'm hoping to start acquiring good pvc cages once we move and I have a proper snake room... Now all I need to do is convince my husband that I need $1,000 or so from our savings to trick-out my new reptile room... Not sure he'll go for it though.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time convincing your wife. Is she afraid of snakes or just doesn't like it as a hobby? I'm lucky that my husband is somewhat on board... He apparently likes snakes after all (not that he's encouraging me to get more, but he tolerates what I have and could probably be persuaded to add another, and he enjoys handling them).

It is a hard thing to say that you will stop at "number x"... I started with two snakes last July and now have 5... And I already know that I want at least 1 carpet, 1 rainbow boa, 1 other boa (Jungle BCI or another locality), and 1 blood or STP as well.. Plus, then there's the whole should I breed (probably BPs), at least once, and see how it goes thing...

Good luck with your setups and the convincing of your wife.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: New home for my boa.

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    Great looking setups! I have yet to own one pvc cage (my boa is in a lowly tub at the moment), but I'm hoping to start acquiring good pvc cages once we move and I have a proper snake room... Now all I need to do is convince my husband that I need $1,000 or so from our savings to trick-out my new reptile room... Not sure he'll go for it though.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time convincing your wife. Is she afraid of snakes or just doesn't like it as a hobby? I'm lucky that my husband is somewhat on board... He apparently likes snakes after all (not that he's encouraging me to get more, but he tolerates what I have and could probably be persuaded to add another, and he enjoys handling them).

It is a hard thing to say that you will stop at "number x"... I started with two snakes last July and now have 5... And I already know that I want at least 1 carpet, 1 rainbow boa, 1 other boa (Jungle BCI or another locality), and 1 blood or STP as well.. Plus, then there's the whole should I breed (probably BPs), at least once, and see how it goes thing...

Good luck with your setups and the convincing of your wife.
    Yeah, I'm not sure what the hangup truly is, maybe a little of both your mentioned points are part of it.

If I could have EVERYTHING I wanted, I'd have a carpet, a big eastern king, a SD retic and either a Peruvian BCC or a North Brazil BCC.

Outside of those, I don't have any great want for anything else.

One thing I will say, is the expense of making nice displays adds up. Once I get to the point where I feel I'm spending more time cleaning, changing water and fussing over them than I do relaxing and enjoying them, I draw the line. At present with my son's royal up in his room and my boa in the "snake room" it is a bit more zipping around than I like. 3 snakes all in the same room would be doable though.

The setup you see here is more than the 2 tanks. I bought and adjustable 6' x 30" folding table, then bought a 6' 1" sheet of wood to put over a 6' 1" piece of insulation, then the king bed sheet, then the lights, the the perches, and so on LOL!

Luckily I'm set for thermostats, although if I get 1 more snake I may by a Hydrofarm stat to control the UTH on the royal because I want the Herpstat II for both big cages. Then the Herpstat I goes to the royal's infrared heat lamp and the UTH needs a stat.

Anyhow,,,,

Gotta get 1 more animal to fill the empty tank when the boa goes to the bigger one.

Thanks
    Thermostats are definitely one of the pricier aspects of the hobby. I saved up amazon gift cards and my husband paid the remainder for me to get a herpstat 4 last year for my birthday. I thought that would be plenty. I've already outgrown it now (using 2 hydrofarm t-stats on my BP quarantine tub) and when I get pvc cages for my boa and possibly my BP (still haven't decided if I want to go rack or not with her) I will need to buy another t-stat and my husband won't be happy with that. Cages are at least easier to understand expense-wise. It's harder to understand how such a small t-stat can be so expensive (for someone not in the hobby). This hobby definitely isn't cheap and I know that causes some strife among couples I read about on the board.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123