Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,532

2 members and 3,530 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza...

So I've got one bucket that I've been using as a reservoir for two MistKings pumps. I'd planned on adding two more to the same bucket (don't think this should be a problem, mechanically) and after drilling and inserting the bulkheads and siliconing them up, I'm finding that they leak. Initially they leaked a bunch, but then I thickened up the silicon around the inside of the bucket (there's now like a 1/2'' ring of silicon around them) and they slowed down to a sort of drip leak.

I haven't had this problem in the past, but both of my new holes are similarly leaky. Think that using a different (but same size) drill bit may have messed up the holes a little.

I used standard aquarium silicone from my LFS (local fish store) but I'm thinking I need to strip that away and maybe try a different product.

I've got tubes of Lexel from building my AP cages, and while I think that would probably work very well, Lexel hasn't been officially tested completely submerged for long periods of time (although anecdotal evidence says it should be fine), and it leeches toxic chemicals. Letting it cure for a couple of weeks would likely fix this problem, and I suspect that the amount of leeching into the water that is then misted probably wouldn't affect any snakes.

Any advice for other products or methods for sealing my leak? Accidentally misspelling Lexel has led me to think that Lexan might be a better option than standard aquarium silicon. Would love any advice, as this has been frustrating me for over two weeks now.
    Last edited by dkspftw; 06-02-2014 at 01:02 PM.