Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,353

1 members and 1,352 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Two sores under chin

Not finding much conclusive info on this. I read through several threads of similar type injuries, and none were the same. I do not believe it is scale rot or mouth rot. I haven't inspected the inside of her mouth yet, but I will shortly.

So I just noticed these two sores today. It appears there are several missing scales, with the scabbing process just beginning. I'm rebuilding the adult rack as we speak because there is slightly too large of a gap. So I'm wondering if she has been rubbing and got her nose stuck, resulting in scales being ripped off.

I applied a triple antibiotic ointment of bacitracin zinc - neomycin - polymycin sulfate. I'm pretty sure it is oil based though so will only apply this one time. I'm going to pick up some betadine today and begin treatment with that.

I actually have a vet appointment on Wednesday for my boa who possibly has an abscess, does anyone think I should bring my ball too to be on the safe side? Or attempt at home treatment first.

To me the wound looks to be healthy (as much as a wound can lol). No swelling, no redness, active with active tongue flicking. The rest of her body looks good and tip top shape. The scabbing process has begun and isn't much of an "open" wound, but not completely scabbed over yet.

She is housed in a 41 qt tub on newspaper. A large water bowl is provided (she does not knock it over). Temp gradient of 78-90 with the 90 being the hot spot. Sheds in one full piece every time. She ONLY eats frozen/thawed. She has never had a live rat in this household. She last ate 5-4-14 and shed 5-23-14.

Females: 0.1 fire; 0.1 sugar; 0.1 GHI; 0.1 pinstripe het desert ghost; 0.1 mojave spider; 0.2 mojave; 0.1 black pewter blast; 0.1 leopard pied; 0.1 champagne; 0.1 pied; 0.1 super pastel lesser; 0.1 pewter; 0.1 spider het pied, 0.1 bumblebee; 0.1 lesser; 0.1 spider; 0.1 normal; 0.3 het pied
    Males: 1.0 het desert ghost; 1.0 pastel pied; 1.0 leopard; 1.0 black pastel; 1.0 enchi; 1.0 mojave; 1.0 cinnamon; 1.0 pied; 1.0 vanilla

Other species: 1.0.3 pacman frogs (sunkissed, super apricot, super blue, super lime green); 0.2 crested gecko; 1.0 hypo hog island boa; 0.1 normal boa; 1.0 rottweiler; 1.0 chihuahua

instagram = lesliep91

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SnowShredder For This Useful Post:

Spechal (08-03-2018)

Thanks

Re: Two sores under chin

I know what this is. One of my females had the exact same thing a while ago. Took me a while to figure it out but I caught her in the act. My snake tried to stick het head between the lip of the bin and the shelf above. When she pulled her head back in it ripped some scales off. The 2 marks are where the jaw bones are, thus those spots press harder on the bin below and when they move their head back the scales get pulled off. My lady healed up fine. Just keep it clean. In a few sheds she will scar up. I'll post a pic of my girls chin now so you can see. I'll also see if I can dig up the thread I made to show you the pics of her jaw when it happened. Keep it clean and your snake will be all good.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to interloc For This Useful Post:

dr del (06-01-2014),SnowShredder (06-01-2014),Spechal (08-03-2018)

Thanks

She hurt herself a couple years ago. That pic was like a minute ago. You can see the areas where she pulled the scales off and has scars now.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to interloc For This Useful Post:

SnowShredder (06-01-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Yeah, I've seen threads like this before. I'd say she's getting her head wedged in somewhere. I'd just keep it clean with betadine.
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

SnowShredder (06-01-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,319 Times in 1,088 Posts
    I had the same thing happen too. I wasnt sure how she was getting the sores until I caught her trying to squirm through the tub and the lid and noticed that there was a little bit of blood on the tub where she was squeezing through. I don't have lids anymore and she has small scars where the rubbing sores were.
    -Andrew Hall-

Good night Chesty, wherever you are....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by interloc View Post
    I know what this is. One of my females had the exact same thing a while ago. Took me a while to figure it out but I caught her in the act. My snake tried to stick het head between the lip of the bin and the shelf above. When she pulled her head back in it ripped some scales off. The 2 marks are where the jaw bones are, thus those spots press harder on the bin below and when they move their head back the scales get pulled off. My lady healed up fine. Just keep it clean. In a few sheds she will scar up. I'll post a pic of my girls chin now so you can see. I'll also see if I can dig up the thread I made to show you the pics of her jaw when it happened. Keep it clean and your snake will be all good.
    Thank you! It's a relief to hear from someone with personal experience. I am glad I was correct with my suspicions. Just freaked me out, my first thought was it was something I have done wrong (and also just a worried mom). Going to keep a close eye on it and her. Just brought home the betadine (which I'm glad to have now for just in case!)
    Females: 0.1 fire; 0.1 sugar; 0.1 GHI; 0.1 pinstripe het desert ghost; 0.1 mojave spider; 0.2 mojave; 0.1 black pewter blast; 0.1 leopard pied; 0.1 champagne; 0.1 pied; 0.1 super pastel lesser; 0.1 pewter; 0.1 spider het pied, 0.1 bumblebee; 0.1 lesser; 0.1 spider; 0.1 normal; 0.3 het pied
    Males: 1.0 het desert ghost; 1.0 pastel pied; 1.0 leopard; 1.0 black pastel; 1.0 enchi; 1.0 mojave; 1.0 cinnamon; 1.0 pied; 1.0 vanilla

Other species: 1.0.3 pacman frogs (sunkissed, super apricot, super blue, super lime green); 0.2 crested gecko; 1.0 hypo hog island boa; 0.1 normal boa; 1.0 rottweiler; 1.0 chihuahua

instagram = lesliep91

Thanks

I had a similar problem when I moved a female up from a 28 qt rack to a 41 qt, the gap was bigger in the 41 qt and she could only just fit her head into it.

I agree with other peeps here, betadine and keeping everything clean will allow it to heal with no probs.
    All the Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal "Vorenus"
    0.1 Normal "Shy"
    0.1 Lemon Pastel "Fera Domina Rapax"
    0.1 Lemon Blast "Lutea Pallide Striata"
    0.1 Lesser Bee "Cornelia Marcescenti Araneae"

All the Other Ones
    0.1 Lynx Point Siamese Cat "Cry Baby"
    0.0.3 Goldfish "Goldie" "Pazuzu" "Adolf"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to anneplath For This Useful Post:

SnowShredder (06-08-2014)