Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,297

2 members and 3,295 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks
    Are giant mealworms the same as mealworms but bigger? If so, then why do my mealworms turn into aliens (is pupate the correct term for this?) before they reach giant mealworm sizes? And where do superworms fit in to the picture?

Thanks
    Giant mealworms are plain mailworms that have a certain chemical added to their food/substrate that keeps them from pupating. They just keep growing and growing and growing. You'd have obtain the chemical (the name of which I forget) and seperate out a certain number of the mealworms to Super Size if you wanted to breed them.

Superworms are a whole different beastie. Raising them involves film containers and waiting and stuff. Don't remember off the top of my head, it seemed like a lot of work.

Reminds me, I should get some mealworm and roache colonies setup for my hopefully-soon-to-be leo colony.
    --Cthulhu

0.0.1 BPs, Guido
    0.0.1 Parakeets, Rygel
    4 fishtanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarken
    You'd have obtain the chemical (the name of which I forget) and seperate out a certain number of the mealworms to Super Size if you wanted to breed them.
    You can breed mealworms if you prevent them from maturing through the life cycle? That doesn't make sense to me.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    No, you breed them normally and pick out like 10% each month to move to a substrate containing the chemical. Same as harvesting to feed, you just let them get really big first.
    --Cthulhu

0.0.1 BPs, Guido
    0.0.1 Parakeets, Rygel
    4 fishtanks.

Thanks
    a small mealworm will give you a smaller beetle....but it will still breed. i suggest if you don't want any aleins, keep them refrigderated.
    superworms are tropical mealworms. they won't pupate (aleins) unless they are completly isolated from each other. i wouldn't suggest refridgerating these guys.
    if you start a colony to breed, may i suggest supers or (zoophobes)same thing. good luck.

Thanks
    Mealworms turn into beatles right? thats why there was a beetle in my little mealie container... wierd

Thanks
    Thanks for the info!
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!