Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,050

1 members and 3,049 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Q: Ball Python Feeding

There are a few Leopard Geckos I've had my eye on for a while, and I was wondering:

1. The best way you have found for heating and creating a gradient. (ie. heat pad, lamp or a combo of both)
    2. I will be using Rep-Cal and Herptivite. The geckos I have been looking at are almost adults. Just wanting to know about ratios of RepCal to Herptivite and how often you dust.
    3. Substrate you use. I just plan on using paper towels, but if something works better, then by all means, let me know.
    4. Variety of foods they can eat. Crix, mealies, etc.
    5. Should I use a full-spectrum bulb or do they need it? The breeder I purchased my White's Tree Frog from said a full-spectrum bulb would be great since they are nocturnal and don't require as much UV.

If I have forgotten anything or if you just have some tricks of the trade I should know, just write it down. I have read the caresheet a couple times, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

Thanks a bunch.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks
    1) I use an undertank heater and it works great. The only problem with a UTH is that if you move the animal to a new tank, you have to get a new UTH because remooving it will destroy the UTH. I am sure other heating meathods will work as well and maybe someone else who uses them can comment on them.

2)I put calcium in a dish and my leopard gecko just licks it out. I also dust the meal items occasionally, but not all the time. Usually once or twice a week.

3) I use Repti-sand because I find it aesthetically (sp?) pleasing and supposedly it is safe to use. The cheapest and safest things to use are paper towels or newspaper because there is very little likelihood of a gecko accidentally ingesting a sheet of newspaper while it is more possible with the sand/bark substrates. Ingestion of these can possibly lead to impaction.

4) Crickets and mealworms are both good food scources. Pinky mice are also fine for adults if used sparingly.

5) They are nocturnal and do not need it, but you can use it if you want. I am sure it won't hurt.

Thanks
    1) I use an undertank heater and it works great. The only problem with a UTH is that if you move the animal to a new tank, you have to get a new UTH because remooving it will destroy the UTH.
    ok i know this is a "not so new" post but why would it destroy the heat pad if you remove it ??
    0.1 Albino Redtail Boa
    0.1 Colombian Redtail Boa
    0.2 Salmon Pastel Redtail Boa's
    0.1 normal Ball Python
    0.1 Ball Python.
    0.1 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Amelanistic Corn Snake
    1.0 Sonoran Gopher
    1.0 Mexican black Kingsnake
    0.1 Luecistic Texas rat snake

Thanks
    I suppose you could damage or ruin it, but I have removed 2 before without ruining them. Just have to be carefull when taking it off.
    The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is....

....Tattooed people don't care if you're not tattooed.

BPnet Veteran BallPythonBabe448's Avatar
    Thanks
    Use human heating pads, not the reptile ones.
    0.1 Bearded Dragon (Reka)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon.O
    1) I use an undertank heater and it works great. The only problem with a UTH is that if you move the animal to a new tank, you have to get a new UTH because remooving it will destroy the UTH.
    ok i know this is a "not so new" post but why would it destroy the heat pad if you remove it ??

You could destroy it if you are not careful about removing it. The backing is nice and sticky gooey so that it doesnt fall off.
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.