Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,475

0 members and 2,475 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Amazon Tree Boa feeding help

Its been almost 2 weeks since my boa last fed which was a week before i bought her at a reptile expo. They fed her live mice but i dont have means to continuelly but them so i feed my snakes frozen except she wont eat and im worried she might die if she doesnt eat soon. What can i do

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 971 Posts

Re: Amazon Tree Boa feeding help

2 options, keep trying thawed or feed live...I would feed live until you get the animal eating, then try to convert to thawed...

Thanks

Im going to try and feed it a lizard since those are their natural prey items. I mean one that i buy from petsmart of course. But i dont know where i can get live feeder mice and i dont have the means to keep them let alone keep them alive

Thanks
    Can you not get mice or small rats at your petsmart? My ATB didn't eat for several months after I moved. Mine is a full grown adult however, and could handle it.

Try Craigslist for live feeders if your petsmart doesn't stock them.

Thanks
    Mines only a few months old i think. Ya i can get frozen feeder mice at petsmart but she wont eat them. I bought a long tailed lizard and put it in with her since lizards are their natural prey and she seems pretty interested in it but hasnt made a move yet cuz its not night time when she is really active. I just want to get some food in her system until i can figure out how to get her to eat frozen mice

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    So buy a live mouse at Petsmart. Don't they have them? If not try Petco. Just don't mention its food. The few times I bought live I bought mice with no questioned asked but I didn't volunteer info either.
    Last edited by KMG; 05-26-2014 at 05:45 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    They dont have mice that are frozen fuzzy size though other wise i would do that. Aside from trying to get mice and what not are there any really good techniques to get her interested in feeding though. I read somewhere that using lizard scent tends to help but i have no clue where or how to get that

Thanks
    Are you feeding at night and dangling the frozen / thawed prey on tongs? That's what all four of mine require in order to take frozen / thawed. If I just lay the prey item down, they have no interest at all.
    ~Wendy~

RepStylin®

Reptile Collection: Amazon Tree Boas, Ball Pythons, Boa Constrictors, Brazilian Rainbow Boas, Carpet Pythons, Chondro, Corn Snakes, King Snakes, Milk Snakes and a Retic. Too many morphs to list anymore!

Thanks
    Yup ive been doing that to. My kingsnake eats them when i put them in a dish as does my milksnake. But my boa just doesnt seem interested in the thawed mouse as she does my fingers at the end of the tong

Thanks

2 weeks isn't anything to worry about. Was she advertised as wild caught or captive bred? Most of the ATBs you see around are WC, so I might also be skeptical about her eating with them, unless you know and trust the people you bought her from. Have you tried braining a small pinky? I've also heard of dipping the pink in tuna juice has worked. I would check out www.amazon-alliance.com as well for some help with this, or to just show off your new ammie! Good luck and keep us posted.
    -Guy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast