Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,099

1 members and 2,098 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Captive coral snake + venomous look-alikes

I just watched a video which indicated coral snakes don't do well in captivity, and I was wondering if there is a known reason for this, or if it's just one of those facts nobody has determined a cause for. Or, is this 'fact' simply not true and there is someone around with a wildly different experience? On a similar note, what goes into keeping venomous snakes from a legal standpoint? I am not necessarily looking to own a venomous snake at this point at all, but I find coral snakes to be rather attractive and for some reason, the milk snake just doesn't cut it for me. Corals just have a certain refinement in their patterns. Of course there is also the size difference. Just know, so that I don't get a lot of people telling me I need to be careful and do a ton of research and yadda-yadda, that's all I'm doing right now. Merely being curious.

Maybe this should be a different thread, but I like saving space. I'm curious to know of any non-venomous snakes which appear similar to hairy bush vipers, in the scales looking like leaves. Hairy bush vipers are one of my favourite snakes, but of course they're not only venomous, but unlike the coral snake, rather skittish. I don't know if that's the best term, but if you watch them, you know my meaning.

Thanks

Re: Captive coral snake + venomous look-alikes

From personal experience, wild caught are basically doomed in captivity. While I have never owned any corals myself but a close friend of mine has had a few over the years and every single one has died. Not sure if being cb would make a difference but as difficult as these guys were I can't imagine cb being any easier to keep. Also they no longer make antivenin for coral snakes. So if you get bitten you would have to ride it out and hope for the best. And imo elapids are not a good first hot (if there is such thing). Scarlet kings look very similar to corals. If you ever decide to get into hots ask lots of questions and listen to the advice given.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I prefer boas and pythons for the most part, but if ever I were to get a venomous snake, it would most likely be one of the two mentioned above. I just love them for their looks, but the coral also because of its temperament and very manageable size. I did read that captive corals can live up to seven years, so someone must have luck with them.

In the above mentioned video, one guy was milking corals to send off for antivenin production (if I understood the purpose correctly), and it wasn't a very old video. Maybe it's low-production, though. Any idea why antivenin isn't routinely produced? Could it simply be because of the difficulty in keeping them?

Thanks
    Neither Corals nor Hairy Bushvipers do well in the captivity. I agree that both species are spectacular animals but people have tried and failed again and again. I have read that ventilation is the main problem with corals. One guy noted some success with computer fans installed into the terrarium and constant snake prey but even that was limited.

Thanks
    Right now, I'm planning on setting up a natural enclosure with bioactive substrate, some low, leafy plants, and indeed, a couple fans to move the air about regularly. Not for anything venomous. In fact, I'm not yet sure what's going in it, so I've still got flexibility (and time, waiting for the substrate to go bio once it's actually set up). I'm curious whether anyone's ever tried to keep a coral in such an environment, though. Or are they only known to have been kept in the more traditional, sterile environment?

Thanks

The only way I've ever seen them kept is in tubs. If I were you I'd stay clear of venomous and stick with boas and pythons. Corals aren't good pets, even if you can get them to live a long time for you. They aren't out much so they don't make good display snakes and you can't just get them out and play with them. That's just my 2 cents. If you really want venomous, I'd suggest a different species. But please remember they can kill. As far as why they stopped making the antivenin it's because it cost more to manufacture than was being sold.

Thanks
    I wouldn't think that a snake in a tub would be out much. Just nothing of interest to go out for. I certainly don't plan on taking a venomous snake out for play time, but I'll certainly take the longevity issue into consideration. My curiosity concerning the tub versus vivarium setup is still in limbo, though, and maybe someday I will need to try it out, unless someone beats me (or has beaten me) to it.

Are there any mildly venomous or non-venomous snakes that have a drastically keeled scale like the vipers? I do wonder as well, why the venomous animals are usually more well-camouflaged. Because you might think they want to (as in the case of the coral) advertise their toxicity. I mean of course non-venomous snakes are usually well camouflaged as well, but not to the extent of looking exactly like a vine or a leaf (or bunch of leaves).

Thanks

Hognose are keeled, and if you decide to keep the coral start a thread about it and keep us posted on how it does.

Thanks
    I certainly will. I'm still confused as to where one can be obtained and also whether there needs to be any permit involved. I am very interested in the hognose and have been for a long while, but I'm most interested in the eastern and need to locate a feeder toad/frog supply (I'll start a thread on that soon).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Qoph View Post
    I certainly will. I'm still confused as to where one can be obtained and also whether there needs to be any permit involved. I am very interested in the hognose and have been for a long while, but I'm most interested in the eastern and need to locate a feeder toad/frog supply (I'll start a thread on that soon).
    The laws on hots are different in each state here in ct hots are illegal and i would imagin it wouldnt be to different in mass

Sent from my N9100 using Tapatalk 2
    1.1yellow belly
    1.0 desert enchi
    1.0 pastel
    1.0 het russo
    1.0 lemon pastel
    0.1 spider
    2.0 normal

1.0 striped corn
    0.1.0 normal corn

1.0 columbian rianbow boa
    1.0 super hypo bci