Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,474

7 members and 3,467 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

i need a name for bp!

i want something that looks cool and something i can hold and have fun with
    - The Member Formerly Known as Bpkid

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I would go for a bearded dragon. NOW, before I say anything else I must say that they are kind of medium-high maintanance for someone who has never owned a lizard before. They eat ALOT and defecate just the same. They need UV lighting, as well as a hot basking spot. Their food can add up $-wise VERY quickly (i.e: crickets cost roughly $1 a dozen depending on the store, and baby bearded dragons eat 1-2 dozen crickets EVERY day. That's about $12 in crickets EVERY week). They absolutely NEED calcium supplements, as well as greens, and other food sources to vary their diet (i.e: f/t or fresh vegetables, hibiscus flowers, mealworms, super mealworms, lobster or leaf roaches, etc). I would suggest something like a leopard gecko, but they do not tolerate a ton of handling.

Just do some research and you may end up finding the perfect lizard!

Jennifer

-EDIT: I forgot to mention that bearded dragons are one of the BEST first timer lizards. They just require a lot, and if you give that to them, they will stay happy and healthy and make a wonderful pet! Just be sure to do your research!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Would a leopard gecko be a good lizard. They are nocturnal and dont require the special lighting that a bearded dragon would?
    Thanks,
    Damien
    0.1 2001 Ball Python 1200 grams.
    1.0 1994 Ball Python 3800 Grams.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Leopard Geckos are usually the species recommended for beginners. I don't own one, so I'm not too sure on how much handling they tolerate. But they seem to be hardy little guys. But there's always the 'new leopard gecko' - the even easier to care for Crested Gecko.
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    leo's are pretty good about being handled so long as you know the golden rule of geckos's "Never hold them by the tail" Leo's are nice cause they can live a saller tank their entire life as a BD needs a larger tank as an adult. BD's are higher cost due to the fact that they love to eat the first 6 months will cost you the most money then it tapers off since you wont be feeding them cric's daily. I own Bd's have taken care of leo's while friends went on trips out of the 2 I like BDs for the socialness and Leo cause they have some Kick butt colors.
    BD's as a starting Lizzy are a good pick i think. They are friendly require little taming to handle, care needs are easy hot and dry. I use repticarpet change it out daily rinse and repeat. Provide a water dish (so they can have fun splashing water all over the tank) a full bowl of greens daily even if its not eating them, mist in the morning cricks in evening but make sure the light is on for atleast 2 hours after the meal and all cricks are out of the tank before ligths out (BD's are very heavy sleepers and crics will chew on them, Never seen this happen but wouldnt want it either).
    All in all pick the lizzy that you like best research its care needs and then decide "can I take care of this guy"
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!