Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,160

0 members and 3,160 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: First post

Thanks

First post

Hey everyone...long time listener first time caller. Thought I'd finally register for an account so I can learn from the best and get everyone's ideas and opinions in the future. I currently own 2 ball pythons...a male pastel and a female spider. The bumblebee was what originally peaked my interest in ball python morphs and I decided I would want to produce my own one day. In the past yr however my list has gotten much much longer lol. I've been setting aside money for months for when repticon comes back to tampa in June and the wish list is growing every day. As it stands right now I am planning on purchasing a Mojave female, a mystic male, and a pair of het clowns. I'm obsessed with everything clown and I WILL own one haha! Anyway guys its nice to finally post something and start getting involved. I wish I could go back and write down the names of all the people on this forum that made my life and the lives of my snakes better over the last yr. There's seriously so much information and things to learn in these threads and its awesome to see how passionate people are about their animals. I say all that to say you guys are awesome! Happy to be here.

Thanks

Re: First post

Great to have you!
    Welcome from Atlanta, GA!
    Post some pics of those snakes! We all love pics!!
    Here is my Mojave girl.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: First post

Welcome to the site.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    welcome

read this, i always link it for new aspiring breeders: http://ballpythonbreeder.com/2012/02...thon-breeders/ a pair of het clowns is not the proper way to start a clown project, and a mojave female and a mystic male is a way to start a mystic potion project, but not the best one.

also, putting in a blank line whenever you change the subject is not a bad idea. i dont even capitalize the beginning of a sentence. but thats just me, most other people do.

some people dislike me for being blunt, but i dont mind. to be blunt, your breeding ideas, when it comes to pairings, are far from optimal. you dont really want a mystic male, really you want a super mystic male or an enchi mystic male. and you dont want to breed het clown to het clown, with just 25% clowns and the rest being 66% possible het clowns. you want to breed visual clown to 100% het clowns that have extra genes, to produce visual clowns and 100% het clowns. possible hets are falling out of fashion.

if you really start breeding, and dont want to just have a nice pet (or 2 or 3), do you want to start at a level appropriate for 2008 or at a level appropriate for 2014? i would look for double gene females and triple or quadruple gene males, or even better, for breeding, choose a different species. there are species out there where you get 200-400 dollars for a captive bred normal, and where the prices for a captive bred are still higher than the prices for a poached / wild caught. think chameleons or rare geckos.
    Last edited by Pythonfriend; 05-02-2014 at 10:58 PM.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

Thanks
    Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

Sorry about the long run on paragraph I'm sure that was irritating to read lol.

Pythonfriend, I definitely see where you're coming from as far as the breeding plans go...It's more of just a list of ingredients on how to produce the morphs that I really enjoy. I also know that the snakes I'm most interested in are old news to more experienced members of the community. There's just something exciting about the possibility of hitting the odds for an animal that I really want.

I've tried to breed for profit in the past...not ball pythons but tarantula s for the past couple years and I really found that it took all of the fun out of it for me. Always stressing about what was going to sell and what was the hottest thing on the market wore on me after a while.

I have thought about the fact that I may end up with a large number of hatching that I cannot get rid of and that has raised some concern but like I said earlier that's all in the future. Right now I'm just enjoying the possibilities of what could happen.

I understand that unless you're working with 3+ gene animals and breeding the latest morphs and constantly pushing the envelope then you're probably not going to have much success as far as profit goes. And trust me if I had the money for a visual clown right now then I would own one lol. I'm just trying to put together a foundation for my collection with genes and combos that appeal to me personally.

Thanks
    i think if you master spider breeding you can make an awful lot of profit. dont expect any profit from ball pythons unless you have a whole lot of breeding females and good genetics. the price per year to keep a ball python happy is significant, and these minimum keeping requirements are important.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0