Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,866

2 members and 2,864 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Hey guys, just wanted to share an experience I had last night. I was over a t friend's place and he was going to feed his bp. He eats medium rats, and he always uses the blunt force method to kill the rats.

Unfortunately, those people who have a snake that generally take an extended period of time to eat, I'm sure you have observed the "rat come back to life" and found that your blunt force method has only knocked the rat out. I feel that this is very inhumane, and the rat suffers considerably in its last few moments of life.

Thinking fast for the rats sake, I decided to employ a method that I had read about somewhere online. It entails placing the handle of a wooden spoon or similar long, rod type object at the base of the rats skull on its neck. You almost "pin" down the rat this way. Hold the spoon on a flat surface (think: see-saw, with the rats neck being the pivot point.) Hold on side down, and and strike the opposite side of it very hard and very fast.

I did this last night and the rat twitched for just a few seconds and then stopped breathing and was dead pretty instantly. Seems like possibly the #2 humane method to put them down, with the CO2 method being at the top of the list.

Let me know what y'all think.
    -Brad

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Killing Rats- Spoon Method

I could see it having the same issue as the general hitting-against-the-wall issue; people get squeamish and don't do it hard enough, and the rat's just disabled and in pain, not dead. I suppose any method involving blunt force has the same issue though...it just makes me uncomfortable, so I either gas mine or have them pre-killed when I buy them.
    0.1 Ball -Ruby-
    0.1 Viper Boa -Vash-
    ....and lots and lots of feeder mousies.....

Thanks
    is CO2 or Dry Ice a quicker death? CO2 is by far cheaper... Spent 99 cents on one pound of dry ice...not too bad, but you have to buy 10 pounds of it...and i ended up putting only one mouse down with it.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Dry ice is frozen CO2 liquid that releases CO2 gas when it "melts" (actually sublimes, since it goes straight from solid --> gas). They're the same thing.
    0.1 Ball -Ruby-
    0.1 Viper Boa -Vash-

Thanks
    9 out of 10 rats that I have "bashed" don't die on the first hit. We sell many many snakes where I work and people come in asking for p/k rats; its really not fun to have to hit them a ton of times. That spoon method has seemed to do the job the first time, in a short period of time.
    -Brad

Thanks
    lol...learn somethin new everyday

i'm always scared to literally break the mouse if i bash it...i don't want blood and guts flying all over the place.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    The one time that I p/k a mouse by "bashing", its skull cracked and it bled all over, I felt absolutely awful. The worst part was that Roo wouldn't take it!
    0.1 Ball -Ruby-
    0.1 Viper Boa -Vash-

Thanks
    my snake took a p/k mouse yesterday. so if he keeps taking p/k, i'm going to buy a bunch of f/t ..

Thanks

Frozen Rats...

The pet shop in town where I got my f/t mousies just puts them in a bag and freezes them in the freezer. I think it'd be a horrible way to die, and I feel so sorry for the poor little buggars. :cry:

I don't think I'll ever want to have to kill my own mouse or rat for feeding, so I want to stick to just f/t. I don't want to give the guy up town any more business after discovering he freezes them live, so I'll have to just take a decently long drive to a good reptile store and get my f/t feeders.
    2.0 python regius - Ace(pastel) and Pelota(cross-dresser )

Thanks
    so go up there and tell the guy the more humane way to do it...CO2....and if he refuses, tell him you'll be back with animal control..cuz that is inhumane even tho it's just snake food. (sorry about goin off topic elevate)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast