Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,266

0 members and 2,266 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

New sub-adult / adult BPs - need help with feeding!

Hey guys, first time poster. I just recently got a female (580 grams) and male (770 grams) ball python. Both came with "next feeding date" and size/type of food to offer. I git the female 9 days ago and she was due to eat a small rat on 14APR14. When I offered the rat she seemed interested for a min or two then backed away. I normally wait another week to offer food but b/c she seemed interested I tried again the next day. Is it normal for older snakes to go off feed when they go to a new home? I keep all my BPs in a rack system. Each bin has identical environments and the other snake ice kept in there is eating like a champ! I know its normal for snakes to go off feed for months on end and the breeder I got them from said both snakes were good eaters. I've done a lot of business with them and I trust they have me an honest answer. So im positive the new home is the cause for the feeding delay. Is there anything I can do to help get them back to a normal routine sooner? I want to start breeding in the next year or two so the sooner I can get her to eat the sooner I can breed.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated!

1.0 Normal BP (2012)
    0.1 Pastel HET Genetic Stripe
    1.0 Spider HET Genetic Stripe
    0.1 Albino Prairie King Snake

Thanks

Re: New sub-adult / adult BPs - need help with feeding!

It is quite normal for BPs to go off feed when they go to a new home. It's best to refrain from handling her and just make sure her new environment is maintained properly. Focus on getting the husbandry right and if she doesn't eat, then don't offer until the next week. She will eventually come around. I got lucky with my new girl...I've left her alone other than freshening water and keeping the tub free of feces. She's been in her hide most of the time. Yesterday I fed her and she not only took it straight away, but she horked the rat pup down with a vengeance. It had been only one week since she'd last eaten with her prior owner. I have others that have taken weeks before they'll eat and it takes some will to refrain from trying again the next day, especially if there's a little interest. Offering again too soon stresses them, so I play it cool and wait it out.

Thanks

Re: New sub-adult / adult BPs - need help with feeding!

Thanks for your input! Every thing you said is what I was told to do/learned to do with my past ball python. Just happened to be older snakes this time and wasn't sure if the same "rules" applied. Thanks for the re-insurance. I also freaked my self out because I have read a lot of negative things about buying older snakes. i.e. Breeding issues, feeding issues, aggressiveness, health issues, etc. But, I went ahead and took the risk of getting older snakes because I trust the breeder and wanted to start breeding ASAP. I didn't want to get a baby female and wait 2-3 years before I could start.

If anyone else has other suggestions, thoughts, or ideas I'd love to hear them! Im always looking to adapt my system to make it better. Also, I have been looking into this and cant find any info on it this... I live at about 7000 feet MSL (mean sea level) does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not high altitudes affect snakes them selves or differences on how to breeding / incubate the eggs? Any thoughts, ideas, and facts on that subject would be great!

Thanks everyone!

1.0 Normal BP (2012)
    0.1 Pastel HET Genetic Stripe
    1.0 Spider HET Genetic Stripe
    0.1 Albino Prairie King Snake