Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,283

2 members and 3,281 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this wrong

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    A tub can easily be heated with a heat lamp. You will need the light suspended so a lamp stand(ZooMed $20 at pet store) or other device would be required so the lamp doesn't touch the tub and melt it.

In a pinch I had to do this once and it actually worked really well. The light brought my ambient up and even gave the required hotspot. I was using a really long under bed tub so it offered enough room for a nice gradient. I bet for a smaller tub hanging the bulb evenly above the tub and turning the bulb down with the dimmer you already have would dial you in pretty easy.

Remember to start the lamp a good distance away and on the lowest power. Then slowly inch up the power giving atleast an hour between to see what your numbers do before raising the power. It needs to be a slow process. It would be best if the snake was elsewhere while you dialed it in so be super attentive during this process.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

NH93 (04-15-2014)

Thanks

Re: Is this wrong

Quote Originally Posted by CptJack View Post
    You need to figure out a way to regulate the temperatures, not just add more heat. Especailly as an open glass tank is going to let tons of the heat escape. That means you need to get a second UTH on a second thermostat. That's kind of the bare minimum deal here. They don't use that much power - at all.

But again: cold side 80. Warm side 90. Give or take maybe 2 degrees, but you need to get those temps up to that, NOT above that, or below that.
    I do currently have 2 UTHs one on a tstat one on a reostat. the cool side never drops below 78 degrees and is on the reostat.

Im at a total loss. My land lord pitches one if the power bill goes up at all above the agreed amount. I know if I try and heat the whole room with a heater it will run all day. my house is poorly insulated.

I think the part that really gets me, is, I posted about doing this setup before I did it and was told it would be fine. I guess I should have let more ppl respond before doing it.
    0.1 normal Ball python ( Penelope A.K.A lady P)
    0.0.1 normal ball Python (Cryptic)
    0.0.1 anery KSB (Sweets)
    1.0 demon seed cat ( Jack A.K.A any colorful explitive)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carbn8 View Post
    I do currently have 2 UTHs one on a tstat one on a reostat. the cool side never drops below 78 degrees and is on the reostat.

Im at a total loss. My land lord pitches one if the power bill goes up at all above the agreed amount. I know if I try and heat the whole room with a heater it will run all day. my house is poorly insulated.

I think the part that really gets me, is, I posted about doing this setup before I did it and was told it would be fine. I guess I should have let more ppl respond before doing it.

There are often a lot of contrasting opinions. Personally I think you should go with the suggestion posted directly before this (your latest) comment, about using a heat lamp. It will be the simplest and least expensive option it sounds.
    I was having issues in the winter with my set up as well, as I have a corn snake and a ball python in a PVC enclosure with a divider. The corn doesn't need as high of temps, so it was a struggle. What I was told (by a very well known and respected breeder on here, whom I've since been keeping in contact with through various sources of social media) was that as long as the belly is heated appropriate - ex. 80F cool side, 90F hot side - the air can be slightly cooler. I do think 60's-anything is too cool, as others have mentioned. But is it possible to also maybe move the tub closer to the heater?
    It will take some fiddling for sure... but I do think there are ways around this without spending hundreds on a new enclosure altogether.
    As a side note, I don't know how YOU can stand mid-60s! I would FREEZE MY BUM OFF. I like the mid 70s.

Best of luck!
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

Thanks

well im gonna mess with the lamp idea tonight and see what I can do for now. I have looked at priced PVC cages as well as RHP's and I think that its time to start saving.

as far as being cold myself, lol I live on the coast in nor cal so cold is a way of life. I always have a hoodie on, even in the summer. Its worth the ocean view, and watching the sunset from my back deck.
    0.0.1 anery KSB (Sweets)

Thanks
    Do research about cages and rhp and then do more. My place stays at 68 and colder in the winter. I love it on the cooler side. That made my snakes unhappy so when I ordered my 4ft by 2ft by 15 inc pvc cages I added uth and rhp. To my surprise the rhp did very little for my ambient temps. So little that I quite using them and started heating that room. I bought the recommended size from both the rhp dealer and cage builder but being under 70 in my home didn't make the setup work out.

If you plan on keeping your collection small you may like something like these. http://visionproducts.us/vp12wp/?page_id=18 The ones that can hold a dome fixture could give you the warm air you need and keep your bill low.

At least if you go another route the tub was cheap and still works for transport and a holding spot for cleaning. I would still try the heat bulb and I'm sure that will fix you up until your ready for a nice cage.
    KMG

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

carbn8 (04-15-2014)

Thanks

So I would like to thank everone for there help with this issue . It seems the light will work for now. I also did start seriously looking PVC cages. I have a couple questions, if you all dont mind.

I like the APcages specificaly the the T8. My question is, the offer an 8" screen cut out, this is for a light right?

Has anyone used an ap cage with a light? IF so what was your room temp, and what watt CHE or bulb did you use?
    If I got with the t8 should i also purchase the divider and just use half being that I only have one animal for now?
    Any other input is greatly appreciated.

Oh and HAPPY HUMP DAY!!!
    0.0.1 anery KSB (Sweets)

Thanks
    I'm sure a light would work fine with a T8 screen section if you went that route.

As for the divider. That will/can depend on the animal and your plans. If you plan on getting another snake it may be a good thing to get and have just in case. If not your ball should be fine by just making sure that it has hides and cover. You just need to provide a secure feeling home and all will be well.
    KMG

Thanks

Just wanted to give an update, lady P shed last night. 1 large piece and 2 smaller ones, but it was complete, nothing left behind. Also I got to deal with my first real snake mess. More importantly the whistle is gone. So Im assuming it was just skin around her nostrils. Im will continue to monitor her though. tonight is feeding night, she should be nice and hungry. I didnt attempt to feed while she was in shed. I didnt want to take the chance of wasting a rat.
    0.0.1 anery KSB (Sweets)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to carbn8 For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (04-17-2014)

Thanks
    Remember if your using a tank with a screened lid, you can cover 3/4 of the mesh with aluminum foil, (less or more depending on what it does to your heat and humidity numbers) to help keep the heat in, and regulate the humidity,

I'm using a display tank on my "pet" also, and I run a very stable 55% humidity and 82 - 84 ambients.

you just need to be very vigilant with spot cleaning, and ensure your monthly clean outs are thorough.

All the best

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Hi, I also use tanks, twenty longs. I have no trouble with humidity. I use red heat bulbs and a under the tank heater on the side. Remember bulbs come in differant watts, so see what works best for your situation. I also have a very large water dish. I know a lot of people really don't like tanks, but I have done it both ways in my life. Right now I just have just two, so I like to get them where I can see them. I just cover the one side and the front with black poster board. Their both happy and healthy as can be.
    Last edited by Sonny1318; 07-14-2014 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Error

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Navaro (07-14-2014)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12