Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,363

2 members and 1,361 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Pics of tics

Thanks

Re: Pics of tics

That room is beautiful lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    My girlfriend has an infatuation with lavender. It started with the retic hatchlings we saw at a reptile show (the mainland hatchlings, not Dwarf or SD). She's been all about Lavender since then. I will point her to this thread for the damage control required for one of these guys / gals. I also don't know that she'd be ready for a retic's intelligence or size - and I don't know how far along SD's are on Lavender Albino's.

I wanted to note your snake room is incredibly awesome. Something similar in my future hopefully someday. How are you heating that room - is it operating on a separate, smaller system from the rest of your house? I saw something on the ceiling but don't know if that is a heat exchanger or just a light fixture, heh. Regardless, the room looks awesome and a great use of space.
    Last edited by zee-man; 05-03-2014 at 06:25 AM.
    0.2 Huskies - Twilight (not the movie) & Dusty Rose 1.0 Doberman - Daemon
    0.1 Normal - Nefertiri 1.0 Albino - Tut 0.1 Albino Spider - Tiyi 0.1 BEL - Isis 1.0 Spinner - Imhotep 0.1 Super Pastel - Anaksunamun 1.0 Cinnamon - Ramses
    0.1 Any Boa - Maya 1.0 Albino Boa - Quetz
    0.1 Boss

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts
    Lavender is in a lot of dwarf projects, including dwarf lavender genetic striped (I will be producing those in the next year or so from a super tiny female if all goes right). And standalone Lav Dwarfs are really easy to get. 62.5% SD Lavs are out there, but they are still quite costly, and will require about 2-3k in spending to acquire one.

The room is in an apartment separate from the main house. The apartment has its on central heating / ac and thermostat that is set to 78 which keeps the ambient at 78 year round. The cages themselves have undertank heaters for the retics / racks, then the arboreal cages have Radiant heat panels controlling their perches (Morelia). The ceiling has a fan that circulates the air, and it looks weird because my head ran into the light fixture and busted it a few months back, and I'm still trying to find a replacement dome . . . *sigh*
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

How do you thaw the rabbits out and heat them up now then Cody?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks
    They are heated by air, I leave them in a dry tub for 24 hours, then put them in a plastic bag that is puncture free and run warm water over it to raise the temperature of the rabbit above room temperature to give off a better signal. Works excellent.

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post:

Mike41793 (05-03-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    Well,

I'm still interested in them but that is a lot of waste. The metabolism is obviously much faster than a boa constrictor's.

Do you breed "normal" SDs and dwarfs or just morphs?

The snake room is very classy looking. That kind of room gives the hobby a good name!!
    Last edited by Gio; 05-04-2014 at 10:31 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Well,

I'm still interested in them but that is a lot of waste. The metabolism is obviously much faster than a boa constrictor's.

Do you breed "normal" SDs and dwarfs or just morphs?

The snake room is very classy looking. That kind of room gives the hobby a good name!!
    Even the products of my pure x 50% sd will generate normal but they will be het for Anery poss het albino (therefor poss het snow).

They do metabolize extremely fast. a 4 lb rabbit being digested in a matter of 2-3 days, with them looking for food on day 4 is insane enough. But they generally urinate every other day, and release fecal 1-2 times a week. Of course this depends solely on which side of the cage they are sticking to (hot or cold).

Appreciate the room remarks. I do work quite hard ensuring its almost always presentable.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post:

Gio (05-04-2014),Mike41793 (05-04-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reptileexperts View Post
    Even the products of my pure x 50% sd will generate normal but they will be het for Anery poss het albino (therefor poss het snow).

They do metabolize extremely fast. a 4 lb rabbit being digested in a matter of 2-3 days, with them looking for food on day 4 is insane enough. But they generally urinate every other day, and release fecal 1-2 times a week. Of course this depends solely on which side of the cage they are sticking to (hot or cold).

Appreciate the room remarks. I do work quite hard ensuring its almost always presentable.
    Well it pays off. Any legislation against snakes like this is somewhat combatted by being educated and presenting something aesthetically pleasing. The room is safe, secure and well kept.

The way you present the animals in your videos is fantastic and IF I were to look for a SD or a male dwarf I'd feel pretty comfortable with your adult size estimate. As a matter of fact, I never even considered one of these until after I saw your YOUTube video.

It's quite a service to people looking at the species. Too often people get one and are over their heads due to size and then the issues start.

Do regular TIGERs come in the SD model? As far as morphs go that is my favorite. Other than that normal is my bag.

Keep the pictures coming.

Thanks
    Tigers are in the 75% range right now. Jason Reed has some knock out 75% SD Tiger stuff, Kris Brown from Vital Exotics has 62.5% SD Tigers that are nice as well. Travis kubes has F2 50% SD Tigers (both of mine are these lines from him).

Things to note:

Tiger was the gene that kind of brought docility to the species. The original wild caught tigers just had this nature about them that was in general pleasing and not like many of the wild caught lines before them.

Tiger also came from a large mainland line. Many record lengths are held by tigers. As a result, this gene is suggested to influence length - thus SD line tigers be longer than an SD pairing that did not include any tiger blood (siblings included obviously). That being said, my 50% SD Tiger girl who turned 2 a couple months back now, she has stopped gaining length at any reasonable rate, and is now adding girth and seemingly capped around 8'. Unlike my platinum which has the same % SD (50) but is from a slightly different local, and is a first generation cross and not a 50% x 50% cross like my tiger. The platinum girl is just a couple months older, and is 10' roughly, again for what its worth.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post:

Gio (05-04-2014)

Thanks

I'm not too far from Vital Exotics and I met Kris at an expo. I like his stuff from what I see. I would love a 7 foot SD tiger male maybe something the size of your female at 8 would be manageable as well.

If you get a chance post a few pics of that one.

Thanks

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (10-20-2015),Mike41793 (05-06-2014)

Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast