Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,241

1 members and 1,240 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Your girl is getting some nice size on her now! The enclosure looks like it'll be awesome too, can't wait to see her in the new digs. Boon has been back outside for a few weeks now but he's only coming out to steal some rays every few days. Already missing my winter bunk buddy but at least now I get to enjoy him when he's active.

Thanks

Re: Tegu Fanclub/Updates/Tips

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    Your girl is getting some nice size on her now! The enclosure looks like it'll be awesome too, can't wait to see her in the new digs. Boon has been back outside for a few weeks now but he's only coming out to steal some rays every few days. Already missing my winter bunk buddy but at least now I get to enjoy him when he's active.
    Thanks! She is growing like a weed and has calmed down quite a bit, she still has her moments thought! I wish I could keep her outside but isn't going to happen where I am at. I will have to settle with giving her supervised some outside roam time. I am hoping to finish this cage within the next few weeks, I am currently hung up on weather or not to put a tub big enough for her to soak in the enclosure with a drain and ball valve so I can drain it into a bucket or not. She soaks in the bath tub once a week now and actively swims and seems to enjoy it, but not sure if a tub in there is going to be more trouble then its worth. What are your thoughts?
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks
    More trouble than it's worth. You're going to be draining and refilling that thing at least once a day with the amount of digging and rooting around tegus do when given the chance. I've used tubs large enough for full body soaks and my GUs have never shown much interest in them for more than simple drinking. These days I just use a ceramic dish that's easy to clean out.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

jclaiborne (04-01-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    More trouble than it's worth. You're going to be draining and refilling that thing at least once a day with the amount of digging and rooting around tegus do when given the chance. I've used tubs large enough for full body soaks and my GUs have never shown much interest in them for more than simple drinking. These days I just use a ceramic dish that's easy to clean out.
    Ok, you confirmed what I have been thinking. Last question for now. Some people have said that I should provide a lay box for her in the form of a box with a tunnel leading to it burried under the substrate. Something with a hinged top that I would have access to, so basically an artificial burrow in case she lays slugs to keep her from getting egg bound. All that being said whouldn't it again stand to reason that this is more trouble than its worth since the substrate will be deep enough for her to create her own burrows and tunnels?
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Registered User Daniel.michelle's Avatar
    Thanks
    The more options she has the better. trust me. Not too long ago my savannah monitor (who I thought was a male) laid over 30 slugs under the heat light (mostly cuz the other Sav was being a d-bag and not letting her burrow properly.) They need as many options as they can get.

Anything, deep substrate, a plastic to with a hole in the side filled with dirt, anything.
    Last edited by Daniel.michelle; 04-01-2015 at 11:57 AM.
    Savannah monitor 1.1.40
    Bearded dragon 2.0.0
    Crested gecko 0.0.1
    Leopard gecko 0.1.0
    Mountian horned dragon 0.0.1
    tiger salamander 0.0.1
    ball Python 0.0.1

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel.michelle For This Useful Post:

jclaiborne (04-01-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jclaiborne View Post
    Ok, you confirmed what I have been thinking. Last question for now. Some people have said that I should provide a lay box for her in the form of a box with a tunnel leading to it burried under the substrate. Something with a hinged top that I would have access to, so basically an artificial burrow in case she lays slugs to keep her from getting egg bound. All that being said whouldn't it again stand to reason that this is more trouble than its worth since the substrate will be deep enough for her to create her own burrows and tunnels?
    With the size and depth of your enclosure I don't think you need to worry about it for the egg bound reason. It is a good idea to have a prefab hide with easy access for you in case you need to monitor your GU during hibernation, apply daily meds, etc.. It's as easy as burying a top opening box leaving the top at ground level, or slightly below, so you can cover it with a thin layer of substrate. Cut out a hole on the side of the box, close to the bottom, and run a bit of septic/drainage pipe from the hole to the ground level in your enclosure.

The man I bought my tegus from had the simplest, but no less effective, prefab hide system I've seen. He simply dug holes in the ground and dropped pieces of plywood on top. The tegus would naturally dig under the plywood and find the nice, cozy holes already dug out for them. They'd still do their rooting and foraging in the top layers of substrate but would return to these pre dug holes for sleeping, nesting, etc.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

jclaiborne (04-01-2015)

Thanks

Another update on my painfully slow build....this cage should have been done a long time ago...anyways...inside completely sealed...I have the material to frame the doors and lighting is on the way...then it's time to fill it up and insulate.

SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jclaiborne For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (05-12-2015),John1982 (05-12-2015)

Thanks

Got my light fixture for basking finish today. Had some spare aluminum extrusion laying around work so I cut it to length and drilled and tapped the needed holes. I was able to wire it internally so there isn't a birds nest of wires. I used romex and will route the wires coming out the top to a timer outside the cage.

SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS

Thanks

T5HO and basking fixtures hung! Will be wiring them up to power tonight after work and adjusting the basking site for height.

SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS

Thanks

Insulation done...outer panels should be finished by tomorrow
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast